Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

hankaye

Re: PMD emergers

Post by hankaye » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:01 am

Roadkill, Howdy;

h-m-m-m-m-m ... interesting...
Thanks.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:48 am

I like the pattern in my avatar. It generally works, but a CDC Comparadun seems to be a magic fly fished as an emerger for both the PMDs and the BWOs. FWIW, the most recent taxonomic reclassification makes one of the western PMD species (infrequens) a sub-species of the eastern sulphur (dorothea). My sulphur patterns always have a bit of orange in the thorax. I fish PMDs all season on the Henry's Fork, and my last count in the fly boxes shows no fewer than a dozen different emerger patterns . . . all of which have worked at one time or another.:-)

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:06 pm

Eric, I was going to try your pattern. I could not find them in my boxes last trip, so thought I had left them home. Nope, right next to the Lil Dorothys in the box where I put them. Maybe I will have a shot at using them in the morning.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:45 pm

During PMD hatches I have always done the best on Comparaduns, Sparkle Duns, and Quigley style cripples. Weighted nymphs work well also during hatches as the PMD's tend to make trial emergences from the bottom before taking the swim to the surface. But, I just don't like fishing weighted nymphs much ;) I've definitely caught fish on flymph style emergers, but not near as productive as the other patterns being mentioned in this thread.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:28 pm

I love fishing weight and nymphs.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:50 pm

Wayne - Can you give us a description of how you formed the abdomen on this fly? Did you use three strands of wire (my guess - but I want to be sure I understand correctly). Very cool pattern.

Please give hook size and wire sizes. This looks like a small fly.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:02 am

letumgo wrote:Wayne - Can you give us a description of how you formed the abdomen on this fly? Did you use three strands of wire (my guess - but I want to be sure I understand correctly). Very cool pattern.

Please give hook size and wire sizes. This looks like a small fly.

hook, mustad 9671 size 18
wire, small, three strands

technically these patterns look terrible. I have stopped worrying about that. I now only consider if the pattern is durable, and if it produces trout for me.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:07 am

Sometimes the Naturals find the Flymph as attractive as the fish. ;)

Hank,
FYI fishing the hatch recently in Eastern Oregon this Haretron Flymph worked well in the riffles while the Sparkle duns out fished it on the flat water but only when the sun was backlighting the dries on the surface.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:03 pm

Roadkill, Howdy;
Roadkill wrote: Hank,
FYI fishing the hatch recently in Eastern Oregon this Haretron Flymph worked well in the riffles while the Sparkle duns out fished it on the flat water but only when the sun was backlighting the dries on the surface.
Thanks for the FYI... :)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin