Thank You Ken (FlyFisherMann1955)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Thank You Ken (FlyFisherMann1955)

Post by DUBBN » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:34 pm

Ken (FlyFisherMann1955), I finally got an opportunity to go fishing since you sent me your gorgeous patterns. Midge fishing is still king here in Western Colorado. It is a tad early for baetis but with the warm, wet, overcast days, I threw one of your PT nymphs on as an attractor. I picked the smallest you sent. I think it was a size 20. I dropped a size 20 Tan Tran nymph (Midge Larva), and a size 22 Brick Midge (another larva) off of it.

I caught a lot of fish. A whole bunch of fish! The first and the largest were taken on your PT. Along with a few more. Great pattern, and it was extremely durable.

I am not done fishing on my two weeks off, so I am sure I will get a chance to use some more of your patterns. Thank you, Ken. I did a tremendous amount of smiling today. You were the biggest reason.

I do not think the biggest fish was 4lbs, but at 23 inches and extremely fat, he was close.

Thank you, Ken.

Here are a few pics.
Last edited by DUBBN on Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyFisherMann1955

Re: Thank You Ken (FlyFisherMann1955)

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:24 pm

Hello Wayne,

Now I'm the one smiling! It's exciting to know that when I can't fish, flies I tied can still be on the stream doing what my wife calls "fish tricking". I hope the other versions of the PT I sent trick some fish too. The PT you used is my spin on the original Frank Sawyer PT; no thread, just PT fibers and wire. I added the little tag/hot spot under the tail.

Where you fishing the Gunnison?

Tight Lines- Ken
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:39 pm

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:24 pm Hello Wayne,

Now I'm the one smiling! It's exciting to know that when I can't fish, flies I tied can still be on the stream doing what my wife calls "fish tricking". I hope the other versions of the PT I sent trick some fish too. The PT you used is my spin on the original Frank Sawyer PT; no thread, just PT fibers and wire. I added the little tag/hot spot under the tail.

Where you fishing the Gunnison?

Tight Lines- Ken

No, Ken I was fishing the Roaring Fork (wade). I was watching over night lows and they were a balmy 31degrees. No slush or flow ice. I fished sunup till 11 AM. Temps never reached 36 degrees. Perfect midge nymphing!!!

I almost went with that little Yellow twisted number. Next time!

Thank you again Ken!!
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:18 am

It is post like these that have maintained my enjoyment of this site. I’ve always enjoyed seeing our shared passion for tying and fishing. We may never get a chance to meet, but it feels like we become friends thru interactions like these.

Ken and Wayne - Thank you both for generosity sharing. It made my day better and brighter.

Wayne - As much as I love your hat, I would stick with my crazy mad bomber hats this time of year. They may look silly, but they are toasty warm.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:43 am

Ray, I just finished a 2 week hitch where temps dropped to -40 F. Thats ambient, not wind chill. I was unfortunate to be working nights. The temps went lower than -40 but, that is as low as our thermometers went.

It was easy to wear that Irish hat in the balmy 30 degree range. 😜
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:45 am

Ken, I will update this thread as Spring progresses. Those larger PT's will be ideal for the Green Drake nymphs.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:42 pm

That’s a picture perfect pheasant tail nymph, tide true to form as it should be. Very nice work.!!
Soft and wet - the only way....