San Gabriel

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

UC Steve

San Gabriel

Post by UC Steve » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:02 am

P1070460 (640x424).jpg
P1070460 (640x424).jpg (179.78 KiB) Viewed 5337 times
One I tied in the 7th grade, in my fanciful period, while still working with the stuff that came in the Ken E Bay fly tying kit & my mom's knitting basket. The little wild rainbows of the San Gabriel, where I was a regular, loved this one. One of the few survivors from that era. I still tie it & like it for prospecting small streams. Good brookie fly too.

Hook: #12 Mustad 3366

Thread: yellow UNI 8/0

Body: silver tinsel with a short thorax of dubbed gold yarn

Wing: golden pheasant tippet

Hackle: red/brown hen
swellcat

Re: San Gabriel

Post by swellcat » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:00 am

It didn't thrill me . . . until I saw the silver body. With that and stripped fast enough, it should pass for a minner. (Minners: they aren't just for breakfast anymore.)

Here's to fancifulness . . . and being able to celebrate it a few years on!

Good tying and fishin' . . .
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:08 am

Today, I picked up a blue ribbon (the string or "handle" of a now-deflated balloon) and some remnant feathers (ostrich herl, I reckon) from a discarded, mostly-defoliated feather duster. That's said to say, your tying is something to aspire toward, and your humility, openness, and absence of pretense make is easy to try . . . so, thanks.
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:41 am

Swellcat, the aspirations are mutual. Hey & I recently scored a discarded feather duster too. Syncopation, brother.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:05 pm

Steve - What a fun pattern, both in the construction and it the target. Brookies are one of my favorite fish, so I will give this a try. I bet it will work nicely with my tenkara rod.

I've also played around with using the golden pheasant tippet fibers as hackling, distributed around the hook. I will give your winged version a try. Thanks for the inspiration.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:48 pm

Ray, good candidate for a wee tenkara attractor in #10-#12. Wing can be sparser. Try it with copper tinsel.