Ten Different Schools Swap

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Ten Different Schools Swap

Post by letumgo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:39 pm

cicvara - Welcome to the swap. I have added your name to the list on the first page. Glad you will join us.

Eric - Great looking flies! ;)

So far, Bill (tie2fish), Bill (zen leecher) and Eric have their sets of flies already done.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:38 pm

I found the page where Skues explains the flies in the starting picture:

STYLES OF FLY DRESSING The angler who has fished with the fly in different parts of the country cannot fail to have noted the extraordinarily differing ways in which the same natural fly is imitated, represented, or suggested in different parts of the country and for different rivers and streams.
As nothing of any permanence is without reason, it must be inferred that these differences correspond to differences in the conditions under which fly fishing is pursued in streams of different classes.
In Plate I. I have reproduced a series of patterns of the same fly—the large dark
spring olive or blue dun— dressed according to methods prevailing in different parts.
Fig. 1 represents an attempt at what is styled, for lack of a better term, "exact imitation." It purports to represent the natural fly sitting up cocked on the water in the attitude in which it may commonly be seen on the clear chalk streams of the South. It has wings (double dressed) and legs, body and tails; and the colours of the different parts purport to correspond with those of the natural fly. It is fished in conditions in which, by reason of the clearness and slow pace of the water, the trout has time for a good look at the fly ere it takes it.
Fig. la is a Derbyshire dressing from the hands of Mr. C. A. Hassam, of the Fly Fishers' Club—than whom no more exquisite artist in trout flies, whether amateur or professional, has ever come within my ken. The wings are single dressed and the whole fly a model of lightness and delicacy.
Fig. 2 represents the same fly as dressed for the tumbling Yorkshire and North-Country brooks and rivers. It is dressed with a fur body, which, when wet, is remarkably transparent and lets through, while it darkens and accentuates, the olive colouring of the waxed silk with which the fly is tied, and the tumbled hackle from the waterhen (moorhen) suggests the tumbled, dilapidated state in which a fly whose wings have been caught by the current might be whirled down-stream in such waters. If used as a dropper, fished upstream and across, this type of pattern with its mobile wings may well constitute an effective suggestion of a fly struggling with its difficulties upon the surface. All the Yorkshire and North of England patterns seem to be dressed upon this theory. Both these types of fly are meant to be fished upstream, or up and across.
Fig. 3 is a dressing from the Usk. The Usk is a broad, solid river, where, I imagine, the bulk of the fishing is to be done by casting across stream. Here the theory appears to be that the artificial fly is a sketch. Note the slight shred of wing, the slim body, the slight but active hackle.
Fig. 4 is a dressing of the fly intended to be fished downstream, or rather across and down, in such solid streams as the Teme. It has, therefore, what is described as a good entry; that is to say, a shape which is calculated to create the least unnatural disturbance through its breasting the current or swinging across it. It is to stand hard wear, so the wings are rolled into a single solid pad.
Fig. 5 is a single-winged pattern— i.e., a pattern dressed with only one thickness of wing fibre to represent each wing of the natural fly 1 —and in a variety of quality it is perhaps the commonest and least rational of all the types of fly dressing.
Fig. 6 is a Devonshire pattern, dressed with sharp, bright, dancing hackles, probably intended to suggest a struggling nymph rather than the hatched winged fly.
Fig. 7 is a rolled-winged pattern with upright wings akin to the Greenwell's Glory. It is one of the few winged patterns of the Northern English counties and the South of Scotland, and its upright split wings will either enable it to go down-stream almost afloat like the natural fly, or, if it be drawn under, it will be whirled about in a way to suggest considerable life and activity. It is suitable for upstream fishing—even in chalk streams.
Fig. 8 is a type of fly affected by the fly fishers of the Clyde and its tributaries. It is extremely sketchy, but as I have never fished, or even seen, the waters where it is used I am unable to do more than guess at the theory of its operation. It appears somewhat akin to the Tweed type.
Even sketchier is the type of pattern illustrated in Fig. 9, but I have known Scottish burn fishers fill bumping creels with just such simple patterns busked before setting out with a mere wisp of feather for wing, a tiny hen hackle pulled from a fowl caught for the purpose, a few inches of tying silk, and perhaps at times a tiny pinch of wool from coat or cap for the body

Perhaps of any help??

Greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:45 pm

I have tried the clyde style but I was not very happy with the result. The wing you can imagine:

First try

Second

Mister Reid says that the wing should be up and square to the shank of the hook.

By now I have ordered a little pack of rooster dun saddle haclles and I know wat kind of hook I will use: B174 # 14. I understand now also that the fly must be a Large Dark Olive. In the days of Skues they call that a Blue Dun.

Hi Martin, I have used a piece of aluminium also and I think that there is more light on my flies: thank you for the tip!!

Greeting

Ruard
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:20 pm

The big fly is my contribution to the swap in a Yorkshire style. The other three covered in a different thread.
DSC_1612.JPG
DSC_1612.JPG (248.25 KiB) Viewed 5295 times
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:18 pm

I just did some exercise and here are my results:

This is what I need: Whiting dark blue dun hackles, dubbing: water rat underfur, hook: B 175 # 14, Thread: Pearsall Gossamer no 3, Wax from ty2fish, feather from the wing of a Jay.

Here are my ten flies

The result.

Ruard
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:03 pm

very nice looking fly. I like it.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:21 pm

Those look very nice Ruard and thanks for all the extra information.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:27 pm

Wow! gorgeous...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Donald Nicolson

Post by Donald Nicolson » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:09 am

Hey Ruard,
I really liked that Clyde style fliy. but what was its name?
The name seems to have avoided my lousy eyesight/
Donald Nicolson alias DNicolson

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:34 am

Donald Nicolson wrote:Hey Ruard,
I really liked that Clyde style fliy. but what was its name?
The name seems to have avoided my lousy eyesight/
Hi Donald, It is the Blue Dun Clyde style, see also the first post of this Thread.

greeting

Ruard