Leisenring’s Wax and Keene’s Varnish

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

wsbailey

Leisenring’s Wax and Keene’s Varnish

Post by wsbailey » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:57 am

In his book “The Art of the Wet Fly”, Leisenring gives a wax formula for which he credits J. Harrington Keene. The same recipe can be found in “Ogden on Fly Tying”. The odd thing is that either there is a typo or Leisenring changed the formula. Not only did he double the amounts (he must have had massive hands) but he used more beeswax than lard, contrary to Keene’s original.
Some years ago I made several of the head cements that can be found in the literature, including Keene’s book. I sent samples to feathersMC. He never found any use for them so he sent them to a well known classic salmon fly tyer. Back came the word that he really liked the Keene formula and wanted more. Neither John nor I originally thought much of the cement. It dried slowly and stayed soft. Apparently, all it needed was time to age.
joaniebo

Re: Leisenring’s Wax and Keene’s Varnish

Post by joaniebo » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:33 pm

Bill

I've been using your "samples" for many years since we first exchanged emails. Don't ever recall knowing about this varnish formula. But, if it's as good as your other items, it's bound to be great.

Cheers

Bob
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:43 pm

joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:56 pm

Bill

I don't even mix a drink. It's either on-the-rocks or I grab a beer from the fridge. Otherwise, heaven only knows what I'd end up with!

BOb
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:05 pm

In college we mixed together whatever booze people brought to the party and called the result hairy buffalo.