A late Christmas gift

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Fishnkilts

A late Christmas gift

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:48 pm

First of all, I wish you all a Happy New Year. And it's beginning to be a good one for me because I have received some really nice late Christmas gifts these last few days, but here it is, New Years Eve and a package showed up on my porch while we were at the Colorado Avalanche game. The Av's lost to Toronto by the way.

I brought in the package that was addressed to my son and gave it to him and he said it was really for me and that it's from him and my wife. So I opened it up and it's a fantastic book called, The History of Fly - Fishing in Fifty Flies, by Ian Whitelaw.

I took a quick look through it and knew instantly this is going to be a great read and tutorial for tying flies because along with each fly it has the original tying recipe and also when and where the fly was first tied and by who created it.

My wife says there's one more book coming and I can only hope it's Ray Bergman's, Trout. But she won't tell me.

Just thought I'd share this with you because I think it's pretty cool because I like the history of fly fishing and tying and fishing with classic flies.
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: A late Christmas gift

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:27 am

That does, indeed, look like a great book. As a fly fishing history buff myself, I can appreciate the illustrations that remind me of several very old first editions by Stewart and Pritt. Those old hand colored illustrations are still as bright as they day they were printed. Great gift.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:28 pm

That is a great book! I’ve had my copy for a while. Good luck and enjoy reading it!
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:03 pm

Dearest Kilts,
I too have this classic and I do not think you will be disappointed at all! The histories are where I like to be! There are so many good books these days especially one about our favorite subject, the Mighty Flymph! Read on friend! You will not be able to put it down!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:22 pm

Thanks friends!

I haven't had time to start reading it yet because I have been getting ready for this years tying expo in Feb. in Longmont.
But I have looked through the book last night looking at the illustrations and quickly looking at when, who and where they were tied.

I can't wait to dive into it.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:27 pm

The more I looked at your post, the more I thought that should be in my library. Ordered today.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:42 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:27 pm The more I looked at your post, the more I thought that should be in my library. Ordered today.
I believe you're going to like it. Lots of different style flies that I plan on tying at some point in my life.

Enjoy it Ron.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:33 am

My copy arrived yesterday. After leafing through it, it appears to be a great little book. Lots of information and the accompanying illustrations and photos are top notch. Looking forward to a night or two of reading.