Fly Tying Magazine recomendations

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

jcwillow777

Fly Tying Magazine recomendations

Post by jcwillow777 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:56 am

I'm looking to subscribe to a fly tying magazine. I really enjoyed Steven Bird's magazine, which is no more. When I first got into tying several years ago I subscribed to several, but they leaned mostly toward dry flies. Looking to see if anyone here knows of a magazine that to pampers toward wets and soft hackles. Maybe not completely, but at least have occasional articles. Thanks in advance for your help.
Last edited by jcwillow777 on Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Fly Tying Magazine recomendations

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:18 pm

I used to read several, then found the internet. I subscribed to Fly Tyer last year and won't be renewing my subscription. I found very little that caught my interest. In the entire year I saw one fly that I thought about adding to the box. If you find something that may interest an old wet fly/flymph guy, let me know, please.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:33 pm

I'm going to give Fly Tyer another go. They got a bit wonky the last couple of years, and like Roadkill, I found very little to get enthused about. Dave Klausmeyer has vacated the Big chair, so maybe some fresh blood will perk it up. I read the Drake, but that isn't about tying. I tried Fly Fusion but they kept shorting me issues and I dropped them.

I used to subscribe to Fly Fishing & Tying Journal, but I let it run out for whatever reason. The passing of Steve Bird's Soft Hackle Journal is crushing.

I guess, ...just keep showing up here!
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:05 pm

Mike62 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:33 pm I'm going to give Fly Tyer another go. They got a bit wonky the last couple of years, and like Roadkill, I found very little to get enthused about. Dave Klausmeyer has vacated the Big chair, so maybe some fresh blood will perk it up. I read the Drake, but that isn't about tying. I tried Fly Fusion but they kept shorting me issues and I dropped them.

I used to subscribe to Fly Fishing & Tying Journal, but I let it run out for whatever reason. The passing of Steve Bird's Soft Hackle Journal is crushing.
Thanks for your input. I checked into Fly Fishing and Tying Journal, they are no more.

I also checked into Fly Fishing and Fly Tying in the UK. Looks like a good magazine, but shipping to US is kinda high. Still thinking on this one.
Greg
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:12 pm

Well, I subscribed to Fly Fishing and Fly Tying out of the UK. Turns out to be about $7.50 an issue. I thought the subscription was for 3 issues, turns out it's for 12. The April issue has an article on spiders. Looking forward to getting my first issue.
Greg
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:01 pm

jcwillow777 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:12 pm Well, I subscribed to Fly Fishing and Fly Tying out of the UK. Turns out to be about $7.50 an issue. I thought the subscription was for 3 issues, turns out it's for 12. The April issue has an article on spiders. Looking forward to getting my first issue.
I forgot all about that magazine. It's been a few years since I read it. Always a good read. Just re-registered, may subscribe again.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:37 am

jcwillow777 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:12 pm Well, I subscribed to Fly Fishing and Fly Tying out of the UK. Turns out to be about $7.50 an issue. I thought the subscription was for 3 issues, turns out it's for 12. The April issue has an article on spiders. Looking forward to getting my first issue.
I had forgotten about them, too. I'll give them a look.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:02 pm

I receive FF&FT as well. I can download a sample to see if I want to purchase a copy. The April and May 2024 issues each have an article on North Country “soft hackle” flies.
Variant

Post by Variant » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:25 pm

I also subscribe to FF and FT magazine.
Call me old school but I look forward to receiving a monthly fly fishing magazine.
Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:32 am

I'm with Lou on the "old school" list. Look forward to receiving my copy of Fly Tyer 4 X a year. Yes, some issues are better/more interesting than others, but I learn something from every issue. Once upon a time, I received Fly Fisherman and Fly Rod & Reel too, but those days are gone.

Never heard of the British mag, Fly Fishing & Fly Tying. Mr Bailey, How does it work where you can preview a copy and then decide if you want to buy it?

Thanks- Ken