Visiting John Shaner (Fly Tying Historian)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mataura mayfly

Re: Visiting John Shaner (Fly Tying Historian)

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:51 pm

That would have been one of those once in a lifetime visits for me.
One day I hope to be able to have an area where I can display most of the fishing art and historical memorabilia I have stored away in boxes, in the workshop, in drawers and cupboards- so others may see and appreciate it. Not that I am claiming to have anywhere near the kind of things John will have, nor half of his knowledge.... but it would be nice to have an area set aside to display what I do have.

I had a visitor here from the San Francisco area who asked me if I knew John, so we may share a mutual friend, but I have yet to meet the man in person, guess that is another name to add to the list of fine folk here I would like to shake the hand of. ;)

On the 477, that is a nice close photo. I have a few of the subs and a very nice bug tied by Chris, but that photo will allow me to compare some of the MANY yarns I have here to see if any I have are close to the original.............
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:22 am

I got that yarn out. It is a 477 sub. I thought it was the real Chadwicks. It is still nice stuff. I tied a couple. You know, it isn't as easy as it seems....LOLLLLLLLLLLL. I tied two of them. I decided to get a wool I have close to it, and practice with that instead. I didn't have fine copper wire, but I used what I had. Both are ugly flies, and I mean UGLY.........tomorrow is another day. :D
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:10 am

Here are a couple Killer Bugs tied by Frank Sawyer's daughter, I believe John said. Notice, there is no wire at the front or ribbing like you see a lot when this pattern is tied.
Sawyerkillerbug.jpg
Sawyerkillerbug.jpg (119.54 KiB) Viewed 26278 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:15 am

Close examination.
DSC_0089.jpg
DSC_0089.jpg (136.38 KiB) Viewed 26147 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:20 am

Thanks for that photo. I tied one more last night, it looked much better. My practice yarn was oatmeal colored, and was not a great sub, much lighter than I thought I had. I took an almost dried up perma marker, and darkened it up a little...lol. I need to find some old equipment that has copper wire in it. I used a ton of wire on those 3 flies I tied. I do have some red wire too. I think it is too thick. I could try it. (if I run out of the copper) I also saw a video with Oliver Edwards on this fly, and he was fishing it too. If I remember right, he had some tied up with an up eye. I have a 2xl 2x strong hook...lovely nymph hook with up eye. If you know about the best hooks, please say so. I mostly see hook of your choice on recipes.
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:19 am

Kelly, check on ebay for magnet wire. You can get tons of the stuff relatively cheaply. ;)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:30 am

Kelly L. wrote:That is the only fly with that yarn?
Kelly - Here is another fly (soft hackle variation of the killerbug) you could tye with a similar substitute.
http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... icks#p8696

Did I ever send you some of Chris Stewarts yarn? I would be happy to send you a few yards if you are interested.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:47 am

Thank you Ray. I liked that soft hackle version very much. I will have to spend the time to read the whole thread on it. No, I don't believe you sent me any of that. But you did send me several colors! I don't even know about the yarn you are talking about. I guess I have been out of the loop on this. Sometime after lunch, I am gonna tackle that fly again. I have been busy doing "errands". I have some poison ivy on me, so I am out of commission outside for a while. That is bad for the yard, but good for my tying...lol. Do you know the average hook used for this pattern? Also sizes would be helpful. I am thinking a size 12-18. But I won't be tying any 18's!!!
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Kelly L. wrote:That is the only fly with that yarn?
Kelly,

In John Roberts' book "Flyfishing for GRAYLING" there is a fly called "Killer Beetle" attributed to some Peter Welsh. It is simply a lead underbody overwound with front 2/3 peacock herl and last 1/3 killer bug yarn. It is a small, chubby fly, tapered in both ends. I think I included one among the flies I sent to William (hint).

It is still possible to buy flies tied by Mrs Margareth Sawyer. You can see pictures of them if you follow this link: http://www.flyhookfiller.se/flugor/sawy ... ymfer.html

dd
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks DD. I will look at that! :D