Bamboo rods for flymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Yeah. Jim's new bamboo is a real honey.

Jim - How did you like fishing with that rod this season?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:33 pm

Ray, Howdy;

From the way Jim 'pushes' those Hardy rods I'm
thinking he's likely to stick with the High Speed
Hot Rod Graphites... ;) , :lol: . Maybe He'll sneak
it out once in awhile caress it lovingly, Give it a
false cast or 3, then carefully wipe any body oils
that may have escaped from the white gloves he's
sure to wear when he allows it out of it' hermetically
sealed sarcophagus.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:47 pm

Hank,

Granted, a rod like that is a thing of beauty, but first and foremost it is built to fish with. I am betting Jim probably has fished flymphs with his bamboo rod and a sense of deep appreciation. I'm hoping Jim chimes in at some point to tell us about it. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:04 am

Eric, thanks again for the insight. I hope to see you play a fish at some point. I think about that water everyday. :D (no seriously...still, everyday.)
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:11 am

When I first started learning how to cast, my father had me learn on a bamboo rod. An old South Bend.
I'm one for traditional ways when it comes to fly fishing so I enjoyed the rod without even understanding what it could achive.

I remember it being a 9 foot rod, a real heavy thing, hell I didn't even know what weight line to pair with it. I think I put a 5wt on the medalist that I mounted on the rod. Anyhow I caught some pretty fat rainbows on that rod and I was so scared of breaking the rod on some of those fish. It was good fun and I wish I had the money to drop on a nice custom job. Swinging flies for trout on a nice 4wt bamboo job sounds like a blast.

Oh, that South Bend rod broke on a back cast one evening. . I was being careless and the leader tangled in a briar bush, the sharp jolt fractured the tip right at the furrel.

Good thread guys, I'm glad it was revisited. Thanks Eric for sharing some info with us.
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:33 am

I'm enjoying the thread as well. It has been a while now that I watched a video of Eric playing a trout that I think John S was filming. Thought it would be fun to review the battle once again should someone know where to find it.

Regards, Jerry
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:56 am

Jerry G wrote:I'm enjoying the thread as well. It has been a while now that I watched a video of Eric playing a trout that I think John S was filming. Thought it would be fun to review the battle once again should someone know where to find it.

Regards, Jerry
Your wish . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFLyL2FW0vw

:D

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:08 pm

That was a nice video and a great piece of water. What a bend you had in the tip of that rod, I was sure it was going to snap. May I ask the length and weight of the rod? Thank you for sharing.

Tim
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:40 pm

raven4ns wrote:That was a nice video and a great piece of water. What a bend you had in the tip of that rod, I was sure it was going to snap. May I ask the length and weight of the rod? Thank you for sharing.

Tim
That particular rod is an 8'9" 2-pc 4-weight graphite made by C.F. Burkheimer; without question the best graphite rod I've ever owned. I was stupidly abusing it on that fish. I remarked to John, my friend who shot the video, that if I'd known then what I know now (thanks to using bamboo exclusively the last several years), the video would have been a lot shorter. FWIW, the tippet was 6X, and the fly an 18 rusty spinner -- testimony to the rod, not me.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:18 pm

My mistake, I thought it was a cane rod. Thank you for the information.

Tim
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.