New

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

New

Post by DUBBN » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:09 am

I read the post about the Purple Gnat, by newriverspey . New pattern, new water he fished, and a new, two handed rod. It made me smile to know he was trying so much new stuff all at once.

The Soft Hackle season has pretty much ended for me as of this week. At least fishing them in the upper portion of the water column. With the end of the season, and newriverspey's post, I started asking myself what new things I have tried.

1. Purple

No, purple is not new to me. The confidence I have in the color Purple is new. Especially when fishing wets. I started my brother-in-law down the road of fishing wets a few years ago. He fishes them with a great confidence now. I trust his judgement when he notices little changes in how the trout take our wet flies. I will add here he does not tie, so it is up to me to keep him supplied while fishing together with my wet flies. We both like beaded and non-beaded. I use thread on the beaded patterns and silk on the non-beaded patterns. Purple is in the top two of his best producers. So, I have been tying more and more wets in the color purple because of him. I am guessing it was mid-July and he and I were working a very long run on the Gunnison River. About the time the sun dipped behind the canyon walls, the catching slowed down. For no reason at all I replaced one of my wets with a simple Purple and Dun. It worked the pattern kept me in to fish until we had worked the river all the way to my truck. Since then, it has been my go-to, low light conditions pattern. I use it with and without a bead (plastic, glass, or brass). The Purple Soft Hackle accounted for my 3 largest trout, using wet flies, this season.

Ken, I am a convert to the color Purple. Thank you for my first silk thread ever.

2. Prarie Chicken
This is the first time I have used this bird. I do love it.

Thank you Ron Eagle Elk. This soft hackle material has been magic for me. When tied with Brown thread it makes an amazing March Brown. When tied with Orange it has become a fish magnet for me. I so appreciate the gift, Ron!

3.Needle pattern (Kind of}
What can I say? This not so simple (for me) pattern really can put fish in the net. At least for the last months.

4. Fishing wets upstream or up and across.

I committed myself to fish wets on a dead drift this year. I always have, but this year I committed myself to it any time that swinging wets had faltered. I found that using my 10- or 11-foot rods, 15-to-20-foot leaders works well for me when the down and across is struggling. Also, adding sighter wax every 6 to 10 inches on the upper 10 feet of the leader really helped me detect strikes when I had lost contact with the wet flies.

I do apologize for making a short post long, but these are the top "new" things I have done this year.
Last edited by DUBBN on Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: New

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:24 am

Great post, Wayne. No apologies needed. Glad you like the skin.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Variant

Post by Variant » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:25 am

Great post Wayne !
New materials, new flies and new techniques .
Well done !

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:06 am

Wayne, that was a great post. It has made me think about trying something new.
I smiled when you mentioned that you now fish these flies upstream or up and across. I have found when fishing these types of flies upstream the hackle pulses giving it an alive appearance. When swinging them the hackle closes up so it loses that pulsating movement.

I'm not saying you can't catch fish fishing down stream from you because you can. But I personally have greater success fishing upstream.

Good for you on all the new things you have tried.
ronr

Post by ronr » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:13 am

DUBBN... the use of sighter wax on the leader has been hit or miss with me...either I don't put enough, or not in the right places...high sticking the soft hackles certainly has its benefits at times though...
thanks for sharing your experiences..
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:19 pm

Wayne,

I've enjoyed watching your progression tying and fishing purple flies. Hearing your new trust in the purple & dun makes me want to add them to my soft hackle box too.

Man, those other patterns are gorgeous too.

Can you tell me more about the "sighter wax"? Who make it and where can I get some. Sounds very interesting, and helpful for strike detection.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:18 pm

Wayne,

So glad to know you're having success with flies tied from the spool of purple Pearsall's Gossamer.
This report from you may also convert some of the "purple haters" visiting this Forum.

Your photo skills really help show off your flies. Color me green (not purple) with envy!

Tight Lines- Ken
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:25 pm

Ray, I use Hareline sighter wax in Fl. Pink. I apply a 1 to 2 inch mark every half foot for the top half of the leader. It is very popular with Mono-rig, or Euro Nymphing to detect strikes.
https://www.anglersall.com/Hareline-Sig ... oeEALw_wcB

Weird, I use it to help me get a good idea where my sunken wets are during the drift. I hate to say but when I am fishing up stream, or up and across I tend to lose the location of my flies. Yes, at times the sighter wax moves and the strike is detected. For me, they point at my flies. I hook more fish knowing where the flies are and seeing a fish flash on them. It doesnt always work. Sometimes the glare to intense to see the sighters. Then I cheat and try to keep as much slack out of my leader as possible. Sometimes I get lucky and can see the tip of my fly line move.
Last edited by DUBBN on Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:33 pm

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:18 pm Wayne,

So glad to know you're having success with flies tied from the spool of purple Pearsall's Gossamer.
This report from you may also convert some of the "purple haters" visiting this Forum.

Your photo skills really help show off your flies. Color me green (not purple) with envy!

Tight Lines- Ken
I appreciate you Ken. ALOT!
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:56 pm

Thanks Wayne. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean