Upstream Wet Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: Did anyone listen to the most recent Wet Fly Swing podcast interviewing Davy Wotton?

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:50 pm

bocast wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:31 am https://wetflyswing.com/wet-flies-with-davy-wotton/

bocast I've been using a Cortland 10'6" 3wt
I had that rod. Its an 8 piece
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Upstream Wet Fly

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:54 pm

Wayne - I’d be interested in hearing your leader setup.

I just finished making up a half dozen of Davy’s leader setups, complete with droppers. I’m looking forward to tangling them all up this spring. :o :? :D :lol:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:14 pm

Ray, that diagram is definitely worthy of a frame. I like all the extra details which give it an artistic quality. This video shows an easy two fly set up for the less ambitious.

https://youtu.be/NjD84YfmKLs
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:17 pm

letumgo wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:54 pm Wayne - I’d be interested in hearing your leader setup.

I just finished making up a half dozen of Davy’s leader setups, complete with droppers. I’m looking forward to tangling them all up this spring. :o :? :D :lol:
Honest? For designated upstream fishing of wets, I believe tags are counter productive. No matter how stiff the tag material is, it is going to swing in to the main leader. It will be observed by the trout as if it is a rig where the flies are tied inline. The leader tyed to the bend of the hook.

The downside of wottens system is, you are giving the trout twice as many leaders and lines to look at. Three times the chances of tangles.

I find no upscale to wottens system .

I have been in the minority before as how I view many techniques.

BTW. I find the wotten knot to be silly as well. Poor breaking strength, and easy to tie wrong.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:36 pm

Wayne - I always like the fact you form your own options (contrary or otherwise), based on your experience fishing wet flies. Like a fish, you often “swim against the current”, but that is a good thing IMO.

Keep swimming, my friend. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:47 pm

letumgo wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:36 pm Wayne - I always like the fact you form your own options (contrary or otherwise), based on your experience fishing wet flies. Like a fish, you often “swim against the current”, but that is a good thing IMO.

I have never been able to out fish friends, family, and neighbors by fishing the same way they do. All of them are a hell of a lot smarter than I am. Most people are.
bocast

Post by bocast » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:37 am

The dropper leader has made my upstream wet fly fishing much more productive, many times so in fact. As Dubbin's post reminds us, each of our experience with a particular approach can be unique. I respect that.

For me watching Wotton's DVD "Wet Fly Ways" and subsequently taking a lesson with Davy Wotton transformed my wet fly fishing, making me a wet fly fan for life. I recall a young guide on the North Platte in Wyoming skeptically eyeing my three fly, dropper style leader set up with three of the wet flies Wotton mentions in the podcast. "Uh, those won't work on this river" was his polite but firm opinion. I showed him my upstream wet fly approach from a stationary drift boat. The first few casts resulted in a boiling, rollicking fight with two big trout, one on the middle dropper and one on the point fly. My next upstream cast produced three fish on the cast, the only time that has ever happened to me. My guide's expression was priceless. "Let me try that rod!" Soon he was catching fish after fish, with one double take on a cast. I'm sure the fact that the trout saw an endless parade of red rock worms and egg patterns had a lot to do with that banner day. I never did as well tying flies to the bend of the hook. All it takes is a slightly larger loop on a reasonably smooth cast to avoid tangling, if the wind isn't a big factor. I managed to cast this way in Wyoming with a fair amount of wind after some practice. I do miss that water now that I live in Ohio. In smaller streams like Spring Creek in PA I use a two fly cast if it is legal, still keeping the two flies well separated. In most larger trout streams and rivers I use three flies, two on droppers sized as per the great Letumgo diagram (thanks for that!) and one on the point fly. Droppers are surgeon's knots tags. I do use tippet rings sometimes with Orvis knots. Of course, your mileage may vary. For me, droppers are the way to go and upstream wet fly fishing is a blast. That Cortland 10'6" 3 wt sounds like just the ticket for wet flies. Is it really an 8 piece rod? I've never even seen an 8 piece rod and would wonder if the joints were noticeable in its action. That would travel well, that's certain.
I fish wet flies with faith and hope, faith that trout don't require exactitude and hope that when my time comes, God will explain why wet flies work...
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:43 am

DUBBN, Howdy;
DUBBN wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:47 pm
letumgo wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:36 pm Wayne - I always like the fact you form your own options (contrary or otherwise), based on your experience fishing wet flies. Like a fish, you often “swim against the current”, but that is a good thing IMO.

I have never been able to out fish friends, family, and neighbors by fishing the same way they do. All of them are a hell of a lot smarter than I am. Most people are.
Reminds me of Liam Nesson's famous line from Taken, "...but I have a particular skill-set"

hank
Last edited by hankaye on Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
ronr

Post by ronr » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:22 am

dubbn its an 8 piece....LOL are you jealous?
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:15 pm

ronr wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:22 am dubbn its an 8 piece....LOL are you jealous?
😂😂😂😂

I do not have alot of good things to say about Cortland Competition rods.

Four trips with it, 3 breaks.

After the 3rd break, I asked Cortland to refund my money. The worthless turds would not have anything to do with that.