interesting find

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Re: interesting find

Post by Jim Slattery » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Nice pictures. Please give a little more info on what it is we are actually looking at. I have seen similar items and maybe I can help shed some light on the subject. the block and cards look authentic. a close up picture would be better.

You've got my interest.
Jim
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:54 pm

I can add a little to the item in the top image. This is a wing cutter designed by the late Peter McKenzie-Philps. Peter was quite a character in his day, and operated a flyshop in Yorkshire, England, which also accounts for the name on the box. The last time I visited the shop was in the late eighties. Peter passed away not many years later.

The wing cutter has a replaceable blade, where the business end consists of a single edge razor blade which is (taking care not to start a bloodbath) bent and fitted into a curved slit. The green object in the box is the stamping block.

Cheers,
Hans W
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:07 pm

Wow! I can see the controversy involved :roll:

Thanks for posting.
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
Silver Doctor

Post by Silver Doctor » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:37 pm

Thanks for re-posting these interesting finds.
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, brier scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.
My blog: http://lornce.wordpress.com/
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:40 am

Hi all,
Since Otto did not repost the original story, I'll do so, here. These items were given to Otto by his 89 year old neighbor. Her grandfather--I think it was-- knew Leisenring. The book was supposedly signed by Leisenring, however as I explained to Otto, chronologically, this was not possible. However, there is nothing to say the lady's grandfather did not know him. In addition, the wing cutter went along with this as well as the dubbing block. Otto also said the margins of the book were filled with notes, which I would assume, her grandfather added.

A question for Jim Slattery. Was the dubbing block also a later addition to the book by Hidy, or was it in the original Leisenring publication?

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:42 pm

The Dubbing Block was added to the reissued book.. It evolved about 1945 by Dick Clark.
I have a few guesses on what some of the items are. Are there any more items? Can we get a photo of the signature?
Jim