interesting find

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

newriverspey

interesting find

Post by newriverspey » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:24 am

sorry but i removed this post after receiving a rather rude private message. i was just showing these items out of interest to others and not claiming anything more than that.
Last edited by newriverspey on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: interesting find

Post by Soft-hackle » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:15 am

Otto,
I believe, if the book is signed by Leisenring, it's not authentic. Leisenring had already passed away when this book was re-published in 1971 by Vern Hidy. If it was signed by Hidy, then it may be real.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:59 am

removed
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:51 am

Hi Otto,
The find is still quite nice, especially since to book was given to you. Chronologically, here's how it went.

The Art of Tying The Wet Fly was first published in 1941. It was written by Leisenring with Hidy's help.

Leisenring passed away in 1951

Hidy reissued the book titled The Art of Tying The Wet Fly & Fishing the Flymph in 1971. Other editions followed.

Both books are worth having.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:50 pm

I do not know what happened, here, however, I think that Otto's original post was, in fact, very interesting. We do not often get an opportunity to have someone get a gift like this. Normally, these items would have gone up for sale on e-bay, but his neighbor was kind enough to pass the materials onto some she knew would enjoy them. I believe that whoever sent Otto the aforementioned e-mail, owes Otto an apology.

Mark

William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:53 pm

This is really upsetting. To date this forum has been a fantastic place to share without the nonsense. I would have loved to have seen the objects. Otto is a very fortunate guy. I'm really jealous. I hope he'll repost his find. That's just the kind of thing that makes this forum so interesting to me.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:53 pm

Otto - Could you please repost the photo(s). I too, would be interested in seeing the book.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
lykos33

Post by lykos33 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:59 pm

The world is full o' a_ _ holes. Why can't they start their own forum and leave good ones alone?!?!?...
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:43 am

I have no idea what actually went on, but at least the guy who was rude did so off-line. There's no excuse for rudeness, but it does mitigate the fact a bit.

Still, it's a shame that we lost the chance to view an interesting find.
Bob
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:36 am

here are the pictures that i posted before. i was out of town for a few days and did not have a chance to repost them. here you go and enjoy.