large wingless wets

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

upstate tj

Re: large wingless wets

Post by upstate tj » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:00 am

Thank you old hat, I have seen your flies before (& tied a few) also. In this bunch I especially like 1-4-6,I like that dubbing on #1 I have used a burnt orange that looks like that for thorax on black stoneflies. In N.Y's salmon river blue is popular as is mostly dark nymphs and natural colors. Swinging speys and other large bright patterns has been going on for awhile I just started, have not hooked a fish on the swing yet. The majority of people fish egg patterns and nymphs. I've made the commitment to tying flies I can swing, just have not been able to spend much time in the river yet, due to a knee injury this winter. I am stocking up on a bunch of new patterns for when I hit the water.The only guess I have for the hackle on #6 would be grouse? great looking hackle, nice flies.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:03 pm

The hackle on number 6 is English Grouse. You can find Carl's other flies (including material lists) at this link:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... =Old%20Hat
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:15 pm

letumgo wrote:The hackle on number 6 is English Grouse. You can find Carl's other flies (including material lists) at this link:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... =Old%20Hat
They are superb 8-)

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:49 am

Outstanding flies in all respects. The color combinations are awesome.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:30 am

TJ, It looks like you like the softer variations. #1 is the Mink and Pintail, I think I posted it here earlier, #4 is an established steelhead pattern that has been around for a while called the Shedlock Spider, I used a little holographic tinsel for flash and angora dubbing. #6 is what I call the Game Bird with a tail of chukar and the english grouse hackle. I'm really not trying to emulate bugs with these in these sizes, but I will morph trout flies that I know are good producers into larger steelhead flymph patterns. I also like to do the same with steelhead hairwing patterns. The best part is coming up with patterns for your own patterns for your local water that work noticeably well. Like you, most of the guys in my area dead drift egg and very heavy nymphs with big ol' plastic balloon bobber things. When I started with these flymphs for steel on the longer rod I was experimenting with techniques and methods. I knew I had to get the fly deeper than normal flymph fishing and there were some kinks to work out, but after a couple years I've started to get it down and I can keep up with all my fishing buddies now and enjoy myself much more. Swinging these for steelhead works good, but I think the lifting method described by Leisenring is more productive. However, it works best when you have spotted a holding fish, where swinging is best for covering a lot of water where you know fish to be but cant' quite pin point them.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:28 am

Here is a steelhead soft hackle of mine.
IMGP5511 copy.jpg
upstate tj

Post by upstate tj » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:34 am

Roadkill I am a big fan of purple and find using it in the great lakes fairly productive, that looks really good with the black and chartreuse, nice fly.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:09 am

Oooo, I like that fly a lot, roadkill! Beautiful fly.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean