large wingless wets

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

upstate tj

large wingless wets

Post by upstate tj » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:17 am

Thanks Mark for the ruffed grouse,ringneck pheasant heads up.Wanted to see what you thought about a couple of ideas,I came up with the idea of large w.w. because I live so close to the salmon river, obviously I fish steelhead most of the year. Got hooked on tying and fishing w.w. inthe summer on fish creek for browns and antlantic salmon, also read the book tying and fishing soft hackle flies (I think the author is Allen McGee) any way along comes steelhead season. Always fished nymphs, got interested in swinging flies this winter .Here is one question do you notice any similarity between spey flies and w.w.. I(might be nuts)also notice a similarity between swinging flies and the leisenring lift. That was after reading steelhead tactics part two on the other site. So I figure tie some large w.w. and combine the lift and swinging for steelhead. Is this obvious and I just noticed or did I cross some kind of line. On the ringneck pheasant, are you talking about the rump feathers. Thanks for the ideas,much appreciated.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: large wingless wets

Post by Soft-hackle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:35 am

Hi tj,
I've noticed quite a bit of similarities between spey flies and wingless wets as I'm sure other fisheren, here, will tell you. Take a look in our fly tying section. Hans has some great flies that could easily be tied on larger hooks for steelhead fishing. There is, in my opinion, also a lot of similarities in fishing technique. Personally, I'm sure the Leisenring lift would work.

There are a number of fishermen here that fish for steelies. Ray "letumgo" Tucker and I believe VERN-O fish for them. They may be able to answer your questions much more adequately.

As far as feathers, you can take them from wherever the size is appropriate. Like I said, some feathers have very heavy stems at the base making them difficult to wrap. Tying in by the tip would probably work better for this.

Patridge also have some very large feathers as well, and remember, the light gray feathers of these birds can be dyed easily. Large hen hackle works as well.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:04 pm

Hi tj,
Have you looked at the CDC salmon flies that Marc Petitjean produces. Some of them are so stunning that you almost rise to them yourself.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:03 pm

tj - I think there are a lot of similarities between the wingless wets and spey flies. I have had a lot of success fishing large soft hackle flies on Lake Erie steelhead. I like to scale up many of the classic flies to larger size hooks (generally in the 2, 4, 6 & 8 size range) and a range of different hook styles. Carl (old hat) tyes a number of gorgeous soft hackle flies that are ideal for steelhead. As far as fishing the flies, I generally like to fish them as deep as I can. I typically cast the fly upstream and then try to let it sink very deeply before it swings past me in the current. I then follow the fly with the rod tip very close to the water and let it hang in the current at the end of the drift. Not quite a Leisenring rise, but similar. Personally, I like to fish the fly deeply because I found that the local steelhead hug the bottom pretty closely. One of the patterns I fish a lot (Skip Morris's "Raccoon") is a great pattern for steelhead. It is a soft hackle fly with a heavy tungsten bead.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Silver Doctor

Post by Silver Doctor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:59 am

In my early days, in the sixties, Gramps and Dad would fish winged and wingless wets for steelhead in BC. Mostly Coachman, big Professors and the like.
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, brier scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.
My blog: http://lornce.wordpress.com/
upstate tj

Post by upstate tj » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:46 pm

:idea: Thanks for the information gentlemen, I have new eagerness for trying/tying (new to me) some new flies, this is a great hobby/sport.
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:06 pm

Wingless Wets work on steelies. A few years ago I was fishing the Trinity River in Sept or Oct. I was trying to find some trout and was fishing at the uppermost part of the river where it comes out of the lake. Anyway I swung my fly in the first decent pool and caught a few OK trout. After about a half hour I hooked on to something large, a Steelie who came up out of the water, shook his head and straightened out the hook, well not perfectly straight. Let's just say he put a new curve to the hook.I was fishing a size 14 Iron Blue Wingless ala Leisenring.
Don't be afraid to use smaller hooks. Just make sure they are stout and your tippet/rod can handle the fight.
Jim
upstate tj

Post by upstate tj » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:28 am

letumgo wrote:tj - I think there are a lot of similarities between the wingless wets and spey flies. I have had a lot of success fishing large soft hackle flies on Lake Erie steelhead. I like to scale up many of the classic flies to larger size hooks (generally in the 2, 4, 6 & 8 size range) and a range of different hook styles.
:geek: :o Checking out your flies on ftf, oops there they are.I just need some new materials.And thanks again to everyone on this site I now know what feathers I am lacking.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:04 am

Upstate TJ - I fish a lot of flymph style flies for steelhead. I use a switch rod and the wingless style is just wonderful with this or would be with any longer single handed as well. As Ray I like to get them down and I use one of two different methods. My favorite is just a single fly with a floating line and sinking leader in different weights dependent on the water. I find the water I want to fish and with the rod I can stand in place and throw it upstream and dead drift with a high stick, I can single hand it out and up to hit places that you couldn't with a swing, or I can do the little spey thing and send it out and across then fish it on the swing. If I spot a steel holding I immediately go into Leisenring Lift method. Cast upstream far enough that the fly sinks down then work the line taught about 2-3 feet in front of the fish so that the fly works in an upward "swim" in front of the fish . With this set up there isn't a place on the river I can't fish without changing flies. That is the magic of the wingless wet, it's versatility. The second method is to use a heavier point fly with the soft hackle as a dropper further up the leader. This gets the fly down but does limit the casting methods. Most of my steelhead flymphs are on heavy hooks and in #8-#12's. I like to make mine buggy. The fish close to home have spent a lot of time in freshwater and are in their 3rd water system from the ocean here and are turned on by a more buggy appearance and smaller flies than if they were lower in the system. You just need to figure out what your fish like...bright, big, small, buggy etc. and tie your flies accordingly. I have been playing a lot with Coq de Leon this year as a hackle on these flies and I really like it. They have luster unlike many other hackles and are soft along the rachis to get them to bend but stiff enough to get a great pulsing action when played with. Here are some of my favorites this year to give you an idea.

Cheers,
Carl

Classic flymph style on a size #10

A Coq de Leon flymph with a little flash rib.

A steelhead variation of the Zulu.

I have fished this one for years with good success.

This one has been a great producer this year both for steelhead and trout and another one with Coq de Leon.
Jim - I get down to the Trinity about every other year and am looking forward to fishing this one. It was inspired by the Trinity Gray.

A newer pattern that has landed a couple and is a variation of a very productive pattern for me in the past couple years.
Last edited by Old Hat on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Roy

Post by Roy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:24 pm

lovely flies