Tavy Terror

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Tavy Terror

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:35 pm

The Tavy Terror started its life on the river Tavi, in the county of Devon, England. It quietly made its way north, across the border with Scotland - to spread 'terror' among the loch browns...

Tavy Terror
Hook: Grip 12804BL #14 (or equivalent 1XL wet fly hook)
Thread: Benecchi 12/0, black
Hackle: Hen, greenwell
Rib: Wire, gold fine
Body: Tying thread

Cheers,
Hans W
Old Hat

Re: Tavy Terror

Post by Old Hat » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:23 pm

I like the pattern quite a bit. The colors are nice compliment to each other.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Hans on the lochs was the Tavy used to represent a midge?
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:40 pm

From the name and the description of how the name came to be, if one had a few of these and a few of the Alexandra pattern in ones fly box, not a trout that has had water pass through its gills would be safe!
Nice to see that antique flattened wire in use again.
Exemplary tie, as per your usual, but are you sure that is not a light furnace hackle? ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Hans, it's like a softer, gentler Williams Favourite. This would make a fine midge pattern, but as a loch fly it may be a bit trim compared to it's older cousins. Exceptional photo of this hackle's subtleties.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:52 pm

William Anderson wrote:Hans, it's like a softer, gentler Williams Favourite. This would make a fine midge pattern, but as a loch fly it may be a bit trim compared to it's older cousins. Exceptional photo of this hackle's subtleties.
Funny you would say Midge pattern. I tyed a few this morning in size 20, 3906 hook.

I am going to tie some up on a size 18, 9671, or 3399 hook, give it some sort of tail, and use it for Small Winter Stone Nymphs.
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:55 pm

William Anderson wrote:This would make a fine midge pattern, but as a loch fly it may be a bit trim compared to it's older cousins.
From my contact in Scotland who put me onto this pattern:

"We have found it hugely effective on the lochs here. I also tie it with a wire body, 2 strands of black one of gold. This is effective early and late in the season before the water warms up or when it cools. As I have to keep several friends supplied with these I end up tying 6 or 7 dozen a year."