Twisted Soft-Hackles: Light, Medium and Dark

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Twisted Soft-Hackles: Light, Medium and Dark

Post by William Anderson » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:32 pm

One of my favorite techniques for tying soft-hackles, as you have seen dozens of times, is the combination of a few herl fibers twisted with silk for a random, textured and mottled effect. Slim like a spider and textured like a pheasant tail nymph. The classic Leisenring Black Gnat is a good example with the crow fibers twisted with claret silk, or the March Brown Nymph pattern listed as one of the orphaned nymphs in the ATWF, with the pheasant tail herls twisted with the orange silk.

The following flies follow something I lean toward often, but not always, the notion that an active or mobile spider is a better imitation of a natural and size, shade and texture play critical roles. That being said these patterns are not necessarily hatch specific but more along the lines of attractors. A case for specific matches could easily be made, but the intention is to carry a similar construction in three shades. (too wordy? I know, it's been a while since I've posted.)

The Light Twist - bleached turkey twisted with primrose silk and a speckled hen hackle.

The Medium Twist - golden pheasant tail herl twisted with orange silk and a grouse hackle. Sub partridge or woodcock for the grouse.

The Dark Twist - the classic Leisenring Black Gnat twisted with crows fibers and claret silk and a Starling hackle.

In a fit of ocd/meditation/avoidance I tied three dozen of the medium with a turkey tail herl and ginger variant hackle.

"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Re: Twisted Soft-Hackles: Light, Medium and Dark

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:38 pm

Very, very cool. All are so very uniform as well. You are a master tyer sir.
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:01 pm

Nice to see you getting some time behind the vise my friend :) Beautifully tied flies as always I especially like the Dark.
In a fit of ocd/meditation/avoidance I tied three dozen of the medium with a ginger variant hackle.
Now come on Will, I think you just aren't trying hard enough! It's certainly only borderline OCD at best! Pretty impressive array of flies mate ;) To qualify as OCD you would have had to fill all the slots in the box, utilized tweezers to put them in and used a body material technique that introduces less variance, (I noticed that the number of thread wraps showing isn't uniform enough). Oh s#*t does the mere fact I noticed this mean I have a potential problem?
Great flies mate, I'd fish those in a heartbeat :)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:07 pm

Wayne, that's very kind. They fish great, now to find the time to wear a few more out.

Karsten, I'm afraid you do have problem, and I'm not sure I want to go as close to the edge as you have. You push the limits. Those aren't thread wraps, unless your counting the heads. The random appearance of the bodies is half the point, you twist them together, bring it all forward and you get what you get.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:16 pm

Thanks Will, now that I know I'll have to work on my problem. I wasn't counting the head wraps (consciously), should have been clearer I meant thread showing through in the body. I do love the random motley effect, very buggy, was just being cheeky. ;)
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:53 pm

It strange or indicative of a deeper sickness than fly tying itself, but when someone opens their fly box and I see clean organization... I swoon.... OK maybe not swoon, but I do like it!
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:52 pm

DUBBN wrote:Very, very cool. All are so very uniform as well. You are a master tyer sir.
I concur wholeheartedly with this observation.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:09 pm

I remember watching you do this in Rosoce last October. Top notch method Will.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Great flies I especially like the Dark Twist!!
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:40 pm

dub-ya, Howdy;

3 doz. 8-) . They all look great. I'm more partial to the dark as that's one
I tied for a swap awhile back. Nicely done.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin