Pine Squirrel Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Pine Squirrel Flymph

Post by William Anderson » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:32 pm

For some time I've been spinning dubbing blends on white silk (ever since the orphan nymphs swap where a Pale Watery recipe called for white silk). The only flies that I can think of - pre spun body using white silk- that I've fished with/caught fish on are a mix of brighter green dubbings for a hatching Grannom flymph, but this one turned out nice. The prespun blend of the darker wax on the white silk melds with the pine squirrel underbody and guard hair mix. What I like about this pattern is the mushroom toned buttonhole twist rib. For all the complimentary tones in the pics, there is actually more contrast in the fly in the hand when wet.

Pine Squirrel Flymph

Note that of all the flies I've ever tied, trying to tie a Hidy style head, I finally managed a few. :D Sadly, I haven't seen this result since. :(
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Re: Pine Squirrel Flymph

Post by tie2fish » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:05 pm

That is simply lovely, William.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:02 pm

William,
Another interesting post. You got me thinking more about using thread for ribs. I know that wire and tinsel ribs work, but am curious about whether thread ribs are equally effective. Time for more field work.

Those cone-shaped heads are impressive.

L
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Thanks fellas. These in a couple values would be handy.
I did have to retire a fly with a single stand of pearsalls silk rib after a few chewings., or rather fished it for a bit without the rib before changing flies. No evidence on its efficacy without the rib, which sounds silly.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:40 am

Weird, I was just thinking about pine squirrel and how I need to get a skin. This seals the deal.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:44 am

gingerdun wrote:William,
Another interesting post. You got me thinking more about using thread for ribs. I know that wire and tinsel ribs work, but am curious about whether thread ribs are equally effective. Time for more field work.

Those cone-shaped heads are impressive.

L
I've used silk thread on midge patterns for ribbing with great results. Caught my biggest PA trout on a midge this year. I believe it was a sz 20 red midge with a brown rib and small black hen collar.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:21 am

Eric, I've used silk ribbing with a lot of success myself, and in this case the silk is buttonhole, so it is a substantial amount of material to chew through. I don't mind at all if the rib comes undone after a fish or two. It would probably work well to use a wire rib, but I like the silk sometimes. I just do. Counter-wrapping the silk rib with a wire rib doesn't sound like something I would do, but would be effective, if you wanted. It would be another binding element that diminishes the dubbings liveliness. I wouldn't want that either. I'm rambling.

cheers.

w
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:53 pm

It's cool, ramble on. I've never used buttonhole for ribbing, maybe I should. Usually I just double over a piece of waxed silk, give it a good twist and tie it in.

I should experiment with buttonhole.
mkmury

Post by mkmury » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:16 pm

Is the tail & hackle the dyed brahma hen like your "pink buttonhole twist"?
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:02 pm

mkmury wrote:Is the tail & hackle the dyed brahma hen like your "pink buttonhole twist"?
Sorry to just see this. No, the hackle here is an indian saddle, with nicely modeled barb and creamy tips. I have several of these cheep saddles. Sometimes they are difficult to wrap as they twist a bit, but if they are webby enough, it's worth the trouble.

w
www.WilliamsFavorite.com