Crème brûlée

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mataura mayfly

Re: Crème brûlée

Post by Mataura mayfly » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:31 am

Both nice flies, nobody take offence.... but if offered a choice to fish with here, I would reach for Bill's version first. Only because I feel it would match out Mayflies more closely.
Now, if I were fishing the bottom with nymphs, Rays would win.... but I would be doing some surgery to that fine looking hackle and calling it a Caddis nymph. ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:07 am

Jeff - I appreciate your honest comments/feedback. Good stuff! ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Ray. Nice creamy egg custard topped with flamed sugar. Beautiful fly, named after my favorite dessert.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:32 pm

letumgo wrote:Jeff - I appreciate your honest comments/feedback. Good stuff! ;)
Nothing derogatory, it is just what would suit MY comments on what would suit MY local water. We might share the same kinds of trouts........ but the insects can vary some. :lol:
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:42 pm

With out a tail The Creme Brule, does remind me of a caddis when I look at it. That being said, in my experience, these types of patterns will do double duty for Mayfly, and Caddis. Tail or not, both patterns would be fished close to the river bottom. :-)
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Ray,
Fantastic! You sure have the great ability to effectively transfer what you see to the hook shank for great looking patterns!
I have been watching some very small cream colored mayflies hatching from the water in the evenings at both ponds and going skyward with grace and delicacy! Your pattern above is just awesome!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:15 am

Ray, this is a lovely tie and a very effective pattern. It's very close to a pattern Eric has been fishing all season and doing very well. If Bill's clutch fly is a sulphur comparadun, Eric has been crushing with his cream flymph on every trip...so I hear. :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:52 am

As I study my photograph, I came up with a couple other ideas to try with this pattern. I'd like to try a version with a reversed wrapped cream CDC body (bringing the tread forward as a rib). I think I will try spinning the CDC with the peacock herl to have a thorax which is half CDC/half ginger peacock. The idea is to have a fly body which holds a bubble shroud over the full length. I think the tread rib will provide segmentation and allow some of the fly show thru the silvery bubble.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Jeff - I hope you did not misinterpret my comment. I honestly welcome the feedback and enjoy this sort of interaction. For me, it is the best way to learn.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Na mate. All good. :D
Just me being me and trying to explain how I look upon a lot of yours and others patterns here and have no personal "American" experience to relate them to, so I immediately relate them to my local conditions and species without much knowledge of the naturals you are trying to cover all the way over there.

Carry on and resume normal transmissions. :lol: