Olive Fox Squirrel and Quail

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:32 am

Hook - Lightning Strike Scud/Emerger (Model SE5/Size 12)
Thread - 8/0 UNI-Thread (Camel)
Hackle - Quail Wing Coverlet Feather
Rib - Fine Copper Wire
Abdomen- Lincatex Mending Yarn (30% Wool/70% Nylon - Color No. Lin101 - Brownish Olive)
Thorax - Fox Squirrel Dubbing (Natural Color Fur Blend Containing Spiky Guard Hairs)

This was an excuse to play with some new hackle I got for Christmas. The hackle came from a small pair of wild quail wings (sorry, I don't know what type of quail). The feathers are a beautiful mottled reddish brown and black. The coloration reminds me of woodcock or red grouse. Interestingly, these wings were sold for training bird dogs, or simply as chew toys. The pair of wings sold for $6, which seemed comparable to other sources of bird wings. I was a bit skeptical about using wings that were intended for dog training. I checked them over very carefully when I opened them. The wings were clean and bug free, with no detectable smell (at least to my human nose). Overall, I am happy with the hackle and look forward to seeing what I can create with the feathers.

Close-up view of the topside of the wings (package contained two left wings)
Close-up view of the bottomside of the wings. Note the medium dun hackle, with the pale dun tips, near the center of the wings. Another lovely hackle to play around with.

Note on Size/Scale: The wings are quit small. Measuring roughly 4 inches (about 10 cm) in length.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
swellcat

Re: Olive, Fox Squirrel, and Quail

Post by swellcat » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:59 pm

I like the fly colours.

Bobwhite quail (Colinus virginianus {x}) is my guess on the wings.

Indeed, my great uncle, Mackie, who started me fly fishing (for bluegill {"bull bream"} with fiberglass out of a heavy, wooden boat) trained his bird dogs with quail wings (saved from the prior season) dangled from a cane pole. He could hold the dog's check cord in one hand while working the quail pole with the other.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Olive Fox Squirrel and Quail

Post by letumgo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:04 pm

I did a few quick Google image searches on "Bobwhite Quail wings" and it looks like a good guess. I think your right.

Interesting Subnote: apparently these wings are freeze dried before they are sold. That may be why they are so well preserved.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Nice pattern with nice materials!
Whichever Quail donated its "flight" gear for dog training purposes, they are of a good size and colouration for your re-purposing. ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:21 am

Ray, there is a lot of good stuff on those wings. Nice pattern and a cool find. I've never seen these packaged like this that I can remember.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:44 pm

Nice fly but I think you should call it the Dog's Toy! ;) :lol: