Nostalgia flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ronr

Nostalgia flies

Post by ronr » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:02 pm

Roadkill's recent foray into flies from the past led me to one that I think REE tied for one of the swaps a while back: The Professor. Davey McPhail recently posted his version on youtube and I decided to tie my variant of the Professor. That in turn led me to the John Ross which I saw on "hook4life".
So here are a couple variants
My Professor is tied pretty traditionally minus the wing. The hackle is a Jim's Fly Co hen grizzly dyed fiery brown. I thought it looked just fine without the wing and was easier to tie this way.

My version of the John Ross... uses yellow thread rather than fight with the floss body... the rest of the fly is pretty traditional except my hackle is a partridge dyed yellow.

I'm off to western Montana in a week or so and we'll see if either of these produce a few fish.
Attachments
IMG_4819.jpeg
IMG_4819.jpeg (268.11 KiB) Viewed 974 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Nostalgia flies

Post by letumgo » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:00 pm

Ron - Thanks for the reminder (on several levels). I’ve been meaning to add some more Professors to my wet fly box. And I bought one of Jim’s hen necks this spring, and have not tyed with them yet. Lovely wee wets, and I am hoping they serve you well on your trip.

Where did you get the yellow dyed partridge? Did you dye that yourself? Very useful looking color.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:24 am

Ron, I'm pretty sure they will both work a treat. I can vouch for the ones I tied for the swap, both DUBBN and I have caught fish on it. (Your top fly closely resembles it.)
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:40 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:24 am Ron, I'm pretty sure they will both work a treat. I can vouch for the ones I tied for the swap, both DUBBN and I have caught fish on it. (Your top fly closely resembles it.)
Ha!! I was thinking the exact thing Ron!
ronr

Post by ronr » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:32 am

letumgo wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:00 pm Ron - Thanks for the reminder (on several levels). I’ve been meaning to add some more Professors to my wet fly box. And I bought one of Jim’s hen necks this spring, and have not tyed with them yet. Lovely wee wets, and I am hoping they serve you well on your trip.

Where did you get the yellow dyed partridge? Did you dye that yourself? Very useful looking color.
Ray... I just lucked into it and an orange and green one at Sportsman Warehouse one day... Haven't used them a lot... but every now and then something pops up.
ronr

Post by ronr » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:32 am

letumgo wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:00 pm Ron - Thanks for the reminder (on several levels). I’ve been meaning to add some more Professors to my wet fly box. And I bought one of Jim’s hen necks this spring, and have not tyed with them yet. Lovely wee wets, and I am hoping they serve you well on your trip.

Ray... I just lucked into it and an orange and green one at Sportsman Warehouse one day... Haven't used them a lot... but every now and then something pops up.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:23 am

DUBBN wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:40 am
Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:24 am Ron, I'm pretty sure they will both work a treat. I can vouch for the ones I tied for the swap, both DUBBN and I have caught fish on it. (Your top fly closely resembles it.)
Ha!! I was thinking the exact thing Ron!
Great minds think alike and all that.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"