Rainbow Pink Lady Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Rainbow Pink Lady Flymph

Post by Roadkill » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:57 pm

Another Pink Lady variation prompted by Troutnut.com ...
Imagepicture_4554_large by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Hook-Wholesale Fly Company M3 #14
Thread & Rib-Kimono Meiji Silk
Body- Dubbing mix of Aunt Lydia's Med Pink Rug Yarn blended with Amber Gold Merino Wool and Clear and Rainbow Trilobal Nylon.
Hackle & Tail- Whiting Hen dyed Dark Dun

ImageRIMG0993 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
NJpatbee

Re: Rainbow Pink Lady Flymph

Post by NJpatbee » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:14 pm

Great job matching the hatch!
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:40 pm

Heck yes!!!
🔥🔥
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:29 am

What Wayne said. X2! :D ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:51 pm

That looks great.
How long did it take you to figure out how much of each material for the body? And also, what material to use?

The color of it amazes me.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:42 pm

Fishnkilts wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:51 pm
How long did it take you to figure out how much of each material for the body? And also, what material to use?
I began mixing dubbing furs to match colors for flies with my first flytying lesson in 1959. ;) It took about 15 minutes with my coffee grinder to adjust the final mixture close to the bug photo. I credit my grade school art teacher for my basic color theory, and a college Psychology class on Perception for more advanced ideas on light.

I have used all these materials before to make dubbing blends, the AL rug yarn was added from a local craft shop to my fur mixtures in the 1980's to add sparkle such as Synthetic Living Fibers. Merino Wool blends from a Fiber Arts Shop were a natural addition considering full Dress Salmon flies tied with Berliner Wools. Adding Antron to flies was a given after meeting Gary LaFontaine along with the Traveling Fly Fishermen.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:13 am

Roadkill wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:42 pm
Fishnkilts wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:51 pm
I began mixing dubbing furs to match colors for flies with my first flytying lesson in 1959. ;) It took about 15 minutes with my coffee grinder to adjust the final mixture close to the bug photo. I credit my grade school art teacher for my basic color theory, and a college Psychology class on Perception for more advanced ideas on light.

I have used all these materials before to make dubbing blends, the AL rug yarn was added from a local craft shop to my fur mixtures in the 1980's to add sparkle such as Synthetic Living Fibers. Merino Wool blends from a Fiber Arts Shop were a natural addition considering full Dress Salmon flies tied with Berliner Wools. Adding Antron to flies was a given after meeting Gary LaFontaine along with the Traveling Fly Fishermen.
I'm undereducated for this forum.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:48 am

Fishnkilts wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:13 am I'm undereducated for this forum.
Not true, but I have been tying to match from bug to bug for over 60 years. ;) :)
chugbug

Post by chugbug » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:01 pm

I would sure enjoy hearing your perspective on hatch matching's place in fly tying and fishing over the last 60.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:50 pm

chugbug wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:01 pm I would sure enjoy hearing your perspective on hatch matching's place in fly tying and fishing over the last 60.
My take on catching fish...

I believe in the idea that there are three types of feeding fish:
Opportunistic Feeding where they take anything passing buy that looks like food-no hatch matching needed. 8-)

Aggressive Feeding that strikes any intruder in the area- possibly to defend the feeding lie or whatever food there might be. No Hatch but streamers might be a great choice. A good way to land a very nice Piscivorous fish. This also brings to mind Bull Trout that slam into that smaller fish that took your fly. :shock:

Selective Feeding where the fish are keying in on one particular bug, sex, and/or stage of the life cycle. To complicate this, you can be in a multiple hatch of different insects on the same water. This is where hatch matching can really pay dividends. But also, it is important to note that it is easier to catch fish with the wrong fly fished the right way than to fish the right fly the wrong way. If you can tie to mimic the bug, the life stage, and the behavior of an insect and understand it's place in the fish habitat you can really enjoy some marvelous days on the water. Some days it is catching and others it is just a nice day on the water.

Any place you are fishing is bound to be one of the loveliest places in the area. ;) :D