Post by tie2fish » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Light Tan Flymph
Hook: Mustad 94842 (R50U), #14
Thread: Sheer 14/0, tan
Hackle: Light tan hen
Tail: Light tan hen hackle fibers
Rib: X-small gold mylar tinsel
Body: Musk ox underfur dyed tan spun in on-hook thread loop

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Light Tan Flymph

Post by William Anderson » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:22 pm

That Ox makes for a wild body. I'm curious to see what it does in the water. The overall look and proportions of this seem to be very Hidy like. Nicely tied and a great pic too.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:28 am

I like the color of that fly very much. Light Tan is hard to beat anywhere trout live. I dont have Ox fur, but I believe I can get close to that shade of Tan if I use a section of Amber Hares Ear off of a very light Hares Mask I have. I have some Ginger hackle that I can use as well. I better go tie a half dozen up for my next trip.
I get some pretty good ideas from the tyers on this board.
Keep up the good work.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:53 am

WOW! that is Smokin' HOT! That body is right up my alley........take one of those (just for the fun of it), and REALLY pick it out.....pick, pick, pick, and then pick it out some more. Then see if it fishes any better or differently......."just for the fun of it." ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:36 pm

This fly has a wonderful "vintage" look to it. An instant classic!

The ox fur body has a nice translucent quality to it, which should only get better once it gets wet. The texture reminds me a lot of rabbit foot fur. It reminds me of Fran Betters "Usual" pattern. I don't have any ox fur, but may give this a try with some rabbit fur (fished in the surface film as an emerger), or with one of my custom wool yarn blends.

In a word...inspirational.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:52 pm

letumgo wrote:This fly has a wonderful "vintage" look to it. An instant classic!

The ox fur body has a nice translucent quality to it, which should only get better once it gets wet. The texture reminds me a lot of rabbit foot fur. It reminds me of Fran Betters "Usual" pattern. I don't have any ox fur, but may give this a try with some rabbit fur (fished in the surface film as an emerger), or with one of my custom wool yarn blends.

In a word...inspirational.
Nice fly.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Bill,
Gorgeous fly! The Ox fur has a wonderful quality about it and your tying is spot on friend. You know my weakness for tan flymphs. Good looking pattern Bill!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:28 pm

William Anderson wrote:That Ox makes for a wild body. I'm curious to see what it does in the water. The overall look and proportions of this seem to be very Hidy like. Nicely tied and a great pic too.

w
I was curious too. I dunked this in and out of the water several times, swirling it around while submerged trying to simulate actual fishing conditions. This particular shot was after I had squeezed most of the water off between my fingers and then dunked it in again. This body seems to retain entrapped air better than most materials I've used ...

Light Tan Flymph Submerged

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:46 pm

WOW! that's amazing........Cool pic. The Ox fur came in the mail today........DOMOARIGATO! ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:23 pm

t2f, Howdy;

Wow dosn't even get to the threshold.... Like tiny-tiny wee-bitty christmas tree balls hanging on the outer edges......

makes me feel like a 1 year old looking at something for the first time......... goo-gaa

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin