Devil Crooks

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Devil Crooks

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:03 am

Sorry, yes they are winged, but fit our historical perspective on this site. I came across this pattern earlier this spring and tied some up. I am with reservation posting them on here. The only reason I am doing so is that this pattern has done very well for me this spring and early summer, if and where I can find fishable water, and I would like to share it. I don't really know what the pattern historically was tied for, but I fish it basically as a general searching pattern like a hare's ear. I have no picture of this pattern so it is my interpretation. It is a fairly old pattern as far as I know but I have little specifics. I posted this on another site so some of you may have already seen them, the only difference is now I can attest to the patterns catching ability. I fish these just under the surface and upstream. I have also tied up some wingless versions and fished them deeper, but :cry: I must admit the winged upstream has out performed the wingless enough to make a difference. The one on the left has more of a down wing with all the hackle in front. The one on the right has an upwing with one wrap of hackle for and one behind the wing. Seems to be no difference to the fish, however, I prefer the upwing version. Hope you enjoy.

Devil Crook
Hook: #14-#16
Thread:Pearsall's silk grey 9A well waxed with a dark cobbler's wax
Hackle: medium partridge
Body: light hare
Wing: partridge slip

I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
willowhead

Re: Devil Crooks

Post by willowhead » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:11 am

WOW! Beautiful flies..........classy lookin'. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:15 am

I really like the look of the upwing version, very much like a Clyde style fly.

Well done on both versions.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:19 am

OH, these are really nice. Beautiful and sparse. I like them both. Where did you see this listed under this name? Great handle.

W
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:36 am

Lordy, lordy Carl -- these are super; you are totally absolved ... :twisted: .
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:39 am

Wonderful contribution, Carl! I love the cackling you used on these. It's nice to see partridge with the brown banding, along with the barring. Is that from one of the wild birds you harvested?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:41 am

Old Hat, Howdy;

Carl, I do like your mutants, (chuckle), seems like I've seen several on the pages of Donald N's site.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:55 am

Awesome color combination... :) A question I've always had about Clyde-ish flies, though: how do they ride in the water? Is the slip flexible enough that the pressure from the current presses it to the hookshank? If not, I'd almost expect it to spin...
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:37 pm

William Anderson wrote:OH, these are really nice. Beautiful and sparse. I like them both. Where did you see this listed under this name? Great handle.

W
William, I came across this sometime a while back, I took notes but can't remember where I found it. My notes say it dates to the 1840's and came from the Fishing Gazette.

CreationBear,
The slips become pretty flexible and usually breakup into into a clump of individual fibers. However on these, I have cemented the tips with a little cement to hold them together a bit. I think I read about this on Donald's site. Helped some but not a great deal especially after a fish or two. When fishing these upstream I have greased only the wing slightly to get it to ride up. Ungreased, I would suspect that they tumble and turn similar to a wingless. I have had no leader twisting issues.

Ray, yep those are the ones.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks for elaborating; great work as always. :)