Faux Waterhen Bloa

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Faux Waterhen Bloa

Post by tie2fish » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:28 pm

This may be of interest to those who have not been able to acquire waterhen feathers. Acting on a tip from John Shaner, I picked up a Gambel's Quail skin at the show in Somerset, and used it to tie this fly. It is not an exact substitute, lacking a little in the dun overtones of waterhen, but it is certainly pretty close ...

Hook: Daiichi 1640
Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer #3 primrose, moderately waxed
Hackle: Feather from the neck area of a Gambel's quail
Body: Thread wraps lightly touch dubbed with natural mole

Last edited by tie2fish on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
CreationBear

Re: Faux Waterhen Bloa

Post by CreationBear » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:39 pm

That's very cool--I was wondering how long it was going to take for everyone's "Somerset swag" to shake out. :)

A question: am I right that waterhen/coot/Gambel quail is a bit darker than what most of us would call a light blue dun? I've always been curious about various "gamebird equivalents" to hen hackle--Mike C. I believe calls plover a perfect dark honey dun, but I'm not sure where other feathers would lie on the continuum.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:00 pm

BEAUTIFUL FLY!!!
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:54 pm

Hey Bill.....that came out dang nice. The Gambles is one of bout a half dozen things Mike was saving for me. Ya snooze, ya loose. Lookin' like i may never get it now. i'm not bout to add shipping (insult) to the (injury of) the basic cost, under the circumstances.......meaning it may never get used by me. :roll:
Your fly is VERY nice.
i'm so completely over-whelmed trying to figure out what to do with all this crap here.............i can't even figure out where to begin........... :? Oh well.
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
redietz

Post by redietz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:58 pm

CreationBear wrote: A question: am I right that waterhen/coot/Gambel quail is a bit darker than what most of us would call a light blue dun?
Yes. Waterhen often looks to me like it was made of pewter.
Bob
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:33 am

I think BLOA says it all: a dark grey like a thundercloud.

Beautiful ty Bill, like the body the moooost of it. so difficult to spread the mole hairs evenly and not to fat.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:46 am

Bill that hackle is a nice one to have. How are the sizes compared to waterhen? What size did you tie this on...given the proportions of that hook.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:37 am

William Anderson wrote:Bill that hackle is a nice one to have. How are the sizes compared to waterhen? What size did you tie this on...given the proportions of that hook.
Aye, there's the rub. I used a neck feather for this fly because the dark edging is more pronounced, and it's some bigger than coverts from a waterhen. The hook is a #12 Daiichi 1640, which looks smaller than most 12's because of the short shank. However, the upper wing coverts on the quail are roughly the same size as those on waterhen, so you could tie down to a #16 if you wished.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:40 am

redietz wrote:
CreationBear wrote: A question: am I right that waterhen/coot/Gambel quail is a bit darker than what most of us would call a light blue dun?
Yes. Waterhen often looks to me like it was made of pewter.
That is an excellent color comparison, Bob. Especially old pewter with a touch of patina on it.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 am

willowhead wrote:Hey Bill.....that came out dang nice. The Gambles is one of bout a half dozen things Mike was saving for me. Ya snooze, ya loose. Lookin' like i may never get it now. i'm not bout to add shipping (insult) to the (injury of) the basic cost, under the circumstances.......meaning it may never get used by me. :roll:
Your fly is VERY nice.
i'm so completely over-whelmed trying to figure out what to do with all this crap here.............i can't even figure out where to begin........... :? Oh well.

Thanks, Mark. And if you're referring to Mike Hogue, I may have got "your" quail, as I scored both that and a really nice hen Chinese partridge skin at the Badger Creek booth.