Red Fox Squirrel Flymph 1270

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Red Fox Squirrel Flymph 1270

Post by William Anderson » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:32 pm

The swap fly was devised as a bass bug, among any things, based on the overall Whitlock Red Fox Squirrel Nymph and using the attributed dubbings. Never one to leave well enough alone I did manage a small set of flymphs that are scaled down a bit and seem to fit my boxes a little easier.

Red Fox Squirrel Flymph 1270 - Pearl

Hook: Daiichi 1270 #14
Tying Thread: Griffith's 14/0 Orange
Hackle: Whiting CdL Hen Cape
Abdomen: Whitlock SLF Red Fox Squirrel Abdomen spun on orange Pearsall's silk on the dubbing block
Rib: Pearlescent tinsel material - maker unknown
Thorax: Whitlock SLF Red Fox Squirrel Thorax spun on orange Pearsall's silk on the dubbing block

Red Fox Squirrel Flymph IBF Swap #18

Hook: Daiichi 1270 #12 2xl
Tying Thread: Griffith's 14/0 Orange
Tailing: Whiting CdL Hen (webby and well marked)
Hackle: Whiting CdL Hen Cape
Abdomen: Whitlock SLF Red Fox Squirrel Abdomen spun on orange Pearsall's silk on the dubbing block
Thorax: Whitlock SLF Red Fox Squirrel Thorax spun on orange Pearsall's silk on the dubbing block

These long synthetic fibers were not as enjoyable to work with on the dubbing block, and even less enjoyable when I tried to spin them as a noodle. I needed to send a note to Doug Duvall for some pointers. After seeing his set of these Red Fox Squirrel flies he tied, I knew they were in my future. Now for more practice.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mataura mayfly

Re: Red Fox Squirrel Flymph 1270

Post by Mataura mayfly » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:41 pm

William, you were having problems with the synthetic material? Blown if I can see where! :D
Look to be pretty dang fine flies to me.
That "unknown" ribbing, is it the stuff you buy in a pack as some kind of horrid non-biodegradable party string/streamer stuff that kid's love to toss at each other and it is near impossible to pick up afterward?.......... I like that stuff for tying...... cheap as chips and very effective.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:46 am

Nice flies William. If wet can you see the silk through the body dubbing??

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Stendalen

Post by Stendalen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:43 am

Lovely flies! Really like the colour combination.

/Martin
"...because it enriches my soul..."
https://www.facebook.com/stendalenflyfish/
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:51 am

On the mark with these, w.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:28 am

I have to say, the RFS is one of my main go to flies on almost every river I fish. I carry it from size 18 to 12. You're interpretation looks great! I especially like the lack of ribbing allowing the dubbing to do the talking for you. When was this swap? Did I miss this or is it coming? Lassie... timmy is stuck in the well! I can barely keep track of myself let along swaps :D :D :D I would have like to have seen Doug D.'s flies as well. If you haven't fished this fly you're missing a keeper.
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:55 am

Oh dang, I just woke up from the stupor and realized that I will be one of the few who received this wonderful fly from the BASS SWAP!!!! Can't wail to hold it in my hand as I dry it with my personalized (what the hell is the technical name for the thing) fly drying pad that hands on my pack.
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:02 am

Dynamite, William.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:17 am

Thanks everyone. I really like the glitz and glammer of the Whitlock SLF dubbing blends. I haven't used them before, having a natural fur leaning, but I dabble and this one has always been on my list. I'll find and post the pics of Doug's flies. He really turned me on to these after seeing what he could do with the combination. I'll certainly be finding uses for these spectral sheen dubbings. A little CdL never hurt anyone either.

Here's another I just tied with the Whitlock SLF RFS nymph thorax dubbing and a partridge hackle.

Red Fox Squirrel Flymph and Partridge.

This is dubbed on a block using a claret Pearsall's silk and ribbed with gold wire, which is hard to see. The ribbing isn't necessary but I thought it helped with the profile. The dubbing loops are just about indestructible. Also, you can spin a dubbed loop on the dubbing block and use it right away with a little retwist once it's mounted on the hook, but ideally you would let those spun loops sit overnight.

I had 30 mins to tie a fly and post it, while I had a bit of coffee. It was that or let the days events induce an anxiety attack. I think I chose well. :D :D

Cheers

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
lykos33

Post by lykos33 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:10 am

Beautiful flies William and I really like that last "anxiety killer"
Murray