Woodcock and Silver Wire - Submerged

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Woodcock and Silver Wire - Submerged

Post by letumgo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Willam - The tap water may simply be degassing to come to equilibrium. Keep in mind, that the water is at a pressure of between 60 to 100 psig when it is in the pipes. Any disolved gasses will be in equilibrium at the elevated pressure (and likely reduced temperature). Once you run the tap water, the pressure drops to atmospheric pressure (some wheres in the neighborhood of 14.7 psia). Once the pressure is relieved, some of the disolved gasses will naturally want to come out of solution, to reach a new equilibrium at the reduced pressure. Another way to think of it, is to think of a normal bottle of soda. When the cap is on a new bottle of soda, it tends to be all liquid. However, once the cap is opened, the pressure is relieved and the soda begins to release the CO2 gas from solution. If the cap is left off long enough, the soda will go flat (no more gas bubbles).

I would suggest drawing a container of water and allowing it to rest over night. Once the water has come to room temperature, and had time to offgas, your bubble problem will likely go away (or at least be minimized).

PS - Let me know if you need help disposing of the gin. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:02 pm

hankaye wrote:dub-ya, Howdy;

Tap water has alot of different 'stuff' in it that
stream water does not. That said, I'm thinking that may
or may not be the cause of a majority of the bubbles.
Have you sloshed them (flies), around a bit to dislodge the
pesky effervesiance. Or, ... perhaps a small drop of detergent
to break the surface tension, just putting words on screen as
they pop into this empty wharehouse I call a skull.
I'm sure that you have probably thought of these ideas by now...
Let us know what you figure out, please.

hank
Hank, I actually had not considered detergent, which is why I post my clumbsy process in public, so I don't have to figure it all out. There's too much talent here to move forward without your imput. And don't think I don't know who the real brains is in your camp. Tell Rascal I said thanks. :D :D
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:03 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Hank - Tell Rascal that I am howling with laughter.

William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:05 pm

letumgo wrote:Willam - The tap water may simply be degassing to come to equilibrium. Keep in mind, that the water is at a pressure of between 60 to 100 psig when it is in the pipes. Any disolved gasses will be in equilibrium at the elevated pressure (and likely reduced temperature). Once you run the tap water, the pressure drops to atmospheric pressure (some wheres in the neighborhood of 14.7 psia). Once the pressure is relieved, some of the disolved gasses will naturally want to come out of solution, to reach a new equilibrium at the reduced pressure. Another way to think of it, to think of a normal bottle of soda. When the cap is on a new bottle of soda, it tends to be all liquid. However, once the cap is opened, the pressure is relieved and the soda begins to release the CO2 gas from solution. If the cap is left off long enough, the soda will go flat (no more gas bubbles).

I would suggest drawing a container of water and allowing it to rest over night. Once the water has come to room temperature, and had time to offgas, your bubble problem will likely go away (or at least be minimized).

PS - Let me know if you need help disposing of the gin. ;)
There's the man with the science. I needed exactly that. Would a gallon of distilled water be even more effective?
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:06 pm

I have the scuba gear and underwater camera, just need one of you guys to come over and toss the flies in the water as it would be a hard one-man operation.
Guess most of you would rather toss flies at trout over here and get annoyed at me snorkelling in for photos........ :lol:
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote:William,

Impressive is the word that fits your post. Well chosen, Lance. First of all, your flies are just drop dead gorgeous, as usual. Your very impressive (there's that word again) set up for photographing flies, dry, wet and submerged is a treat to behold. I can foresee you being swamped with flies from other tiers so you can give them a dunk in your tank. Well done.
Ron, thanks so much for your kind remarks, I really appreciate it and vote the of confidence. When I get this little set up tuned up a bit, maybe that would be intersting. IBF Swap #19? (Like I have time for that right now.)
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:I have the scuba gear and underwater camera, just need one of you guys to come over and toss the flies in the water as it would be a hard one-man operation.
Guess most of you would rather toss flies at trout over here and get annoyed at me snorkelling in for photos........ :lol:
Jeff, if you're funding the research and travel expenses...I'll throw stuff at you all day. :D :D

w
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:18 pm

Maybe we could get a scientific grant? ;)

Getting back to the Champers, dust and tiny fibres trap air bubbles inside the glass that attract the dissolved carbon dioxide and the gasses reinstate to gas, the bubbles travel to the tip of the blemish they are attached to and float to the top.
Same thing with your fly, suspended dissolved gasses will be attracted to all the fibres and air in your dubbing, collect- build and assemble into bigger bubbles and eventually rise to the surface.

Leaving the water as Ray suggests might help, trust an engineer to come up with that. :lol:
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:24 pm

"Would a gallon of distilled water be even more effective?"

If the distilled water is at room temperature, in theory, the answer should be yes. Now it's up to you to verify the working theory.

By the way, when you are dipping the flies in and out of the water, pay close attention to the hackle fibers. I have observed the fibers springing away from the fly, at the instance it crossed thru the surface tension at the meniscus. I am convinced that this movement, provides an illusion of life, which contributes to the long success of these flies (wingless wets/flymphs/soft hackles/etc). I would be interested in hearing if you observe the same thing.

I will be watching with much interest...

William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Waterhen and Sulky Flymph

Hook: Daiichi 1250
Thread: 14/0 Burgandy
Hackle: Waterhen
Body: 50/50 blend of natural mole and natural beaver, spun on Sulky's Sliver Metallic thread (just as Bill Shuck used) spun on the Clark's Block.

I really thought this fly would be a great fly to show off the underbody through the dubbing. The wax actually dulled the metallic thread more than I imagined, but it's a great looking body, especially in the hand, and when wet, but it didn't photograph as well. This set does show the hydrofuge that occurred as soon as the fly was emerged. The mole and beaver both seem to retain the micro bubbles exceptionally well, which wasn't my goal, but the effect of the hydrofuge was very pronounced and remained there for quite some time.

EDIT 12-06-12 (that's 06-12-2012 for those abroad) This had significant air pocket as well, but I took too long to get the shot and bumped the fly a bit.

w
www.WilliamsFavorite.com