Grouse Poult & Body Weave Nymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Grouse Poult & Body Weave Nymph

Post by tie2fish » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:49 pm

Trout where I live seem to take nymph imitations more readily than other life stages in the winter, which led me to this ...

Hook: Mustad C49S, Size #16
Thread: Uni-Thread 8/0, black
Body: Weave of dark brown and olive gold embroidery floss
Hackle: English grouse poult upper covert
Thorax: Natural hare's ear

Last edited by tie2fish on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Mataura mayfly

Re: Grouse Poult & Body Weave Nymph

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:15 pm

Nice form!
Love the way you posed it for the photo. That is the same attitude you are hoping this fly to hold in the water, just below the film?

I am a firm believer that nymph forms of a trout menu fill 80+% of the fishes diet. If I pump a stomach or examine stomach contents of a brown trout caught locally it will contain hundreds of tiny tube caddis nymphs (a hard pattern to imitate with a soft hackle nymph), once you push them aside you will find the odd damsel or stonefly nymph- a couple of beetles/bee or blowflies with small surface taken dun flies hard to distinguish.
The nymph forms are a must have here and with the subtle body colour changes in this offering, the overall mottled brown tones and the life giving hackle, this one would be one to pack into any trout stream! :D
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:08 pm

Bill - Holy smokes, this is magnificent! Perfectly fishable, but deserving of framing. You honor the trout with flies of this quality.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:11 pm

That is fantastic. I can see cased caddis, caddis emerger, and even Mayfly emerger in that pattern.

Back to trying to weave.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:30 pm

I'd feel like a can't fail rock star drifting something as nice as this with the greatest confidence and very high expectations.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:34 pm

Bill,
Incredibly lifelike pattern. I can't imagine this fly lasting very long in any promising looking current or stillwater! The woven body is just wonderful. It looks so real! If you had dropped the pattern on your tying table, it would have crawled off the edge! Thanks Bill for this beautiful creation you have made! We hope to see a bunch more in the near future!
Flabbergasted D.
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:40 pm

Ahhh yes. Yummy!!!!!
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks to all ... Jeff, Ray,Wayne, William, Doug, and Ariel ... for the nice remarks.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:08 am

DINNER BELL! SOUP'S ON! I can hear this one calling every fish in the neighborhood. Excellent tie, Bill.
That combination of colors with the woven body and Hare's Ear thorax looks deadly.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold