Ten Different Schools Swap

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Smuggler

Re: Ten Different Schools

Post by Smuggler » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Would it be based on the Iron Blue? I would think researching a different pattern might prove to be a little tough. To my knowledge there isn't very much published about a lot of those styles of tying.

Then again, I may be wrong.
cassady

Post by cassady » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:49 pm

zen leecher wrote:I may be interested but this would require a lot of research.
I quite agree... And as someone who loves research, you can definitely count me in!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:54 pm

I'd be in. It would help me get my mind around the period where this type of codification and regional division seemed relevant. This kind of exercise would definitely allow some of our more knowledgable members to shed some light. It's an area that I would enjoy understanding better.

We may have to cobble our resources to piece together some accurate information. Sounds interesting.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:57 pm

The best collected information on the different English/Scottish schools of trout fly dressing is to be found in Lawrie's English and Welsh Trout Flies and Scottish Trout Flies, and Taverner's Trout Fishing from all Angles and Fly Tying for Trout. Of course there is a lot of additional discussion on the styles but most is in more regionally focused books such as Reid's Clyde Style Flies, etc.
Schwiebert covers the above styles in his books, especially Trout, but most of his information was probably cribbed from Skues, Lawrie, Taverner, etc.
Skues used "the Large Dark Spring Olive or Blue Dun" (not the "Iron Blue Dun") as his model as it is widespread through out England and Scotland and therefore would be represented in artificial form by the various "schools" even though they are separated by geography and fishing conditions. The Blue Dun occupies a position in the UK similar to that of the Hendrickson in the eastern US. Greenhalgh says of the Large Dark Olive: "Perhaps one of the most widespread and abundant of Europe's upwinged flies", so it was an ideal species for Skues' examples of different fly dressing styles.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:42 am

Don't know why Iron Blue got into my head. Thanks for clarifying John.

Also, thanks for the tips on reference materials, that will come quite in handy.

I found a series of articles online by David Westwood. http://www.aflyinholland.nl/content/spi ... el%201.htm

Mostly on Tweed and North Country. Still, worth skimming.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:49 am

I'll play if I can tie the Usk Naylor ...
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:44 am

Count me in for Devon.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:50 am

TUMMEL. =)
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:44 am

Yorkshire here. I was going to take the overhackled Devon but Smuggler beat me to it.
cassady

Post by cassady » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:14 pm

I picked up a bunch of stuff on Clyde style flies for the last swap, so would be happy to revisit that material...