Li'l Dorothy

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Li'l Dorothy

Post by tie2fish » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:06 pm

Whilst rummaging thru some tying materials the other day, I ran across some #722 embroidery floss that Dougsden had distributed a while back. Since it is sulfur season in the Northeast and I only had twenty-three sulfur patterns in my boxes, I decided to try doing Mark Libertone's trademark "Li'l Dorothy".

Hook: Mustad 3906B or equal, Size #12 or #14
Thread: Cream or white
Hackle: Cream or pale ginger hen
Abdomen: #722 pale orange embroidery floss
Thorax: White or Cahill colored rabbit

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
novabass

Re: Li'l Dorothy

Post by novabass » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:28 pm

Beautiful fly Bill! Well done.
FrankenFly <--my website
Where fly tying comes to life!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:11 pm

Bill, this really is an excellent example of Mark's pattern. I've caught a lot on this pattern over the past two seasons since I've been fishing it. A couple weeks ago Eric and I were walking up a trail along Penn's Creek and spotted a little #14 sulphur on a rock, it was a glowing orange color tone, a perfect match to the 722 when wet. Most every sulphur I've seen is more yellow than this but the pattern is a killer.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:10 pm

8-)
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:33 am

Perfect, Bill!
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:12 am

Hi Bill,

Very nice tied, well done my friend. The 722 orange will become a bit darker when wet.

I see you managed the pictures from google. Well done!!!

greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:41 am

Two thumbs up!

Nice job on the pattern and posting the photo.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Nice work as always Bill, both in the tying and the presentation.
Good to see you have the google thing sorted.

Is that the "full" thickness of the embroidery floss, or did you separate the strands?
I had a bit of correspondence with Mark regarding this pattern a while back and he stressed the fact the thorax and abdomen were roughly the same size and the thorax cloaked the abdomen somewhat. But then he was trying to imitate one particular natural on one particular water system. Do you feel the shorter thorax of your own offering covers one area of the sulphur style that the other twenty three patterns in your fly box do not?
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:39 am

Thanks, Jeff (and all others who have commented). I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I cannot remember whether the body of this particular fly has one or two strands of floss. I have been tying up quite a supply of these and the ones that I have done recently have a slightly shorter abdomen consisting of a single strand tightly twisted while wrapping. Also, the newer ones have a bit longer thorax, with the material brushed back more to "veil" the abdomen. For what it's worth , the hackle has one side stripped. The overall look/color is indeed different from anything I had previously.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:24 am

That is interesting.
Not so much the part where you cannot remember...... :lol: , but the fact you have reverted from your original toward more of Marks preference of design.
I too started with quite a small thorax, but used the famous 1/2 kilogram spool of orange yarn for my abdomen. They worked alright, surprised me in fact as they do not really imitate a natural here, but they are a top producing soft hackle late Summer when fished as a single in the top couple of inches below the film. For me, once discussing the pattern more with Mark and finding the correct floss, correct proportions etc, I found them to be a much better fly early season through to the start of Fall and at pretty much all depths- yet they still do not really represent any natural within local waters.
Be interesting to see how your own experience goes as your season progresses. I would still be tying some of the smaller thorax models to fish in the top of the water as aborted duns or drowned spinners. ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.