Nellie B

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

Re: Nellie B

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:09 pm

FELLOWS ONE AND ALL,
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. THAT ALL OF YOU GAVE. I HAVE COME UP WITH ANOTHER THOUGHT THAT OCCURED TO ME RECENTLY. I AM SURE THAT MANY IF NOT ALL OF THE TYERS/FISHERS ON THIS FORUM FEEL A BIT OF KINSHIP WITH THOSE WHO HAVE GONE ON BEFORE US WHEN IT COMES TO TYING AND FISHING CERTAIN PATTERNS. AT LEAST I DO!
ON PATTERNS THAT HAVE NOT CHANGED MUCH THRU THE AGES (PARTRIDGE SERIES, MARCH BROWN SPIDER,FLYMPHS, ETC.) THERE IS A CERTAIN FEELING THAT COMES OVER ME WHEN I'M AT THE VICE THAT SAYS "YEA, THAT'S RIGHT". THIS FEELING WOULD BE EVEN MORE EVIDENT, I THINK, IF I WOULD TAKE A MOMENT AND MAKE A SPINNING BLOCK AND DO A FEW PRESPUN BODIES (OR GO TO MARKS WEB-SITE AND DO A FEW ON THE PANT-LEGS. THAT WAS REALLY COOL MARK AND VERY HELPFUL!). MY PATTERNS MIGHT BE A LITTLE MORE TRUE TO THEIR ORIGINATORS INTENT AND WHO KNOWS, THEY MAY FISH BETTER.
AGAIN GENTLEMEN THANKS FOR SHARING SO FREELY WITH ALL THE YEARS OF EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE. THIS IS WHAT KEEPS THIS FORUM FRESH AND NEW AND ALWAYS EXCITING!
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
mikeytwoshoes

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:09 pm

pardon me for asking doug, but why do you type in all caps?

I suppose you could ask the same about me, why I type in almost all lowercase and I couldn't really answer that other than to say it saves nanoseconds of typing time omitting the shift key...

penmanship wise I prefer all caps, but here it is kinda hard to read.
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:51 am

Interesting discussion. I've used dubbing loops mostly, but also the dubbing block method. I do find I have more control
over the way the dubbing is distributed along the length of the loop using the block. With me, it's always kind of a juggling act
spreading the dubbing in the loop hanging from the hook, and not as consistant from one fly to the next as I'd like it to be. I
think the block method solves that problem.

Really like the way the dubbing in this fly makes the transition from the abdomen to the thorax area.
Very nice looking fly.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
RnF

Post by RnF » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:07 pm

I find that I have more control over the materials when I use a block. When you have more control over a process, it generally turns out better. I will use a dubbing loop when I am a hurry, but typically prefer the block as well.

Sometimes I use wire instead of thread too. More durable.

Beautiful fly Mark.
Scott D
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:20 pm

DEAR MIKEY,
I'M GLAD YOU ASKED THIS QUESTION AND I DON'T MIND ANSWERING IT! I TYPE IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE IT'S QUICKER FOR ME. YES, I ADMIT IT. I WAS TAUGHT IN HIGH SCHOOL TO TYPE IN THE TRADITIONAL WAY. And I guess it does work out for the most part. I am not a particularly fast typist and I have just grown accustomed to typing in large, bold, all caps.
I LIKE THIS BETTER! I HAVE AN INTERESTING STORY ABOUT ALL CAPS.
SOME YEARS AGO, I USED TO CHIME IN OCCASIONALLY ON A FORUM CALLED GOFISHOHIO.COM. IT WAS KINDA COOL BUT IT GOT OUT OF CONTROL. MY BROTHER-IN-LAW TOOK PARTICULAR OFFENSE TO MY ALL CAPS TYPING. HE SAID THAT IT APPEARED THAT I WAS SHOUTING AT EVERYONE. THAT ALWAYS MADE ME LAUGH BECAUSE HE KNEW BETTER AND HE LIKED (AND STILL LIKES) TO "STIR THE POT" ON ISSUES LIKE THIS.
IT'S MY SINCERE HOPE THAT NONE OF YOU FEEL AS IF I AM SHOUTING AT YOU. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. Maybe, I'll try this method for a while. And just like the dubbing block method mentioned earlier, maybe old dogs like me can be taught new tricks.
Your right Mikey, it does look better this way. Easier to read too.
From the Den,
DOUGSDEN....
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.