Waterhen Bloa

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Waterhen Bloa

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:24 am

I was given some waterrat fur, so took a stab at a set of 'genuine' Waterhen Bloa (Pritt, North Country Flies, 1886). I still had to substitute the hackle, which calls for a feather from the inside of a waterhen wing, but all in all it should be pretty close.

Waterhen Bloa
Hook: Sprite Perfect International #14
Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer, yellow
Hackle: Hen, dyed dark brownish-dun
Body: Tying silk
Rib: Split silk, waterrat inserted, twisted

Cheers,
Hans W
flyfishwithme

Re: Waterhen Bloa

Post by flyfishwithme » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:19 am

Hans,
A great looking fly. Does it actually mention tying the dubbing by splitting the thread in Pritts' writings? If it does, I must have missed it. Albeit I do like the idea and it would produce a much better patterns as yours testifies to. BTW, on waterhen hackles, these are becoming increasingly difficult to acquire. For instance, last seasons supply from Ireland (where most of them come from) went to France. I would be interested in what you thought (or anyone else) would be a good substitute?
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:25 am

Philip,

No split thread mentioned in the Pritt book. I think that is a much more recent technique. However, I think it does provide a very close look&feel to sparsely dubbed of old, with improved durability. What do you, or any other on the forum, think?

Hans W
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:55 am

Mike,

Thanks for your comments.
The hackle is not much like waterhen though.
That may be the next iteration on this journey 8-)
Indeed, even the waterrat fur looks a bit "grey" here, the original has chestnut brown tips, ( which this may also have, but it can be difficult to see in photos ) unless only underfur is used.
The dubbing I received does also include some guard hair, but the chestnut tips are not very pronounced. I may incorporate just a tiny bit of chestnut dyed mole next time round...

If only the fish had an inkling what we flydressers agonize and lose sleep over... :twisted:

Cheers,
Hans W
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:52 am

Hans,
Here's my two cents. Tying patterns according to the traditional recipes and methods is great. It puts you in touch with the past, however, many of the old materials are not as readily available to modern tiers. Reasonable substitutes are great. Tying, also, using more modern methods often revitalizes and resurrects old patterns that worked very well in days gone by. In this way we as creative tiers can help educate and inspire other tiers to take a look into the past and learn about our fly fishing heritage. It also gives us great alternatives to use in our more present time.

Your fly is very beautiful and a proper tribute to Pritt's original. ;)

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
bbamboo

Post by bbamboo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi Philip

There’s not really anything close the waterhen. There is some Brahma hen capes which are not bad. But even them are tricky to get in the UK
I think probably Snipe is the nearest but then it becomes the Snipe bloa. There is some very good feathers on the leading edge of a Heron but again now protected.

I remember an article in a very old Trout and Salmon mag 50 s by the legendary T.K Wilson.
A Yorkshire angler was having some trouble getting some waterhen wings.
T.K Wilson told the guy not to worry and use a Greenwell’s hackle instead of the waterhen.
It makes a very effective fly.

GARY
http://www.nichobamboorods.com
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:38 pm

American coot is often suggested as a substitute to the Waterhen and if the Waterhen pelt I have is anything to go by, a smaller American coot would do as a substitute. Luckily American Coot are as common as dirt on this side of the pond.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
gdsaltzman

Post by gdsaltzman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:14 pm

Cookshill might have some waterhen left, I got a bag of loose feathers earlier in the year and then just recently an entire skin.

Hans - if you are in a real pinch, PM me your address and I'll drop a few feathers in the mail to you.
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:13 am

I will pay Steve "Cookshill" Cooper a visit when I attend BFFI next month ;-)
bbamboo

Post by bbamboo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi Mike

Yes I totally agree for whatever reason poultry hackles do not have the same leggy look on a wet fly.
I think WC. Stewart also said the same thing.
Taking the black spider as a prime example hen hackles do not work as well as the correct starling hackle.

Looking again Coot looks a good substitute.

Gary
www.nichobamboorods.com