Silk-on-Silk Soft Hackles

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Silk-on-Silk Soft Hackles

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:16 pm

Silk-on-Silk
Hook - Daiichi Model 1510/Size 10
Thread - Pearall's Gossamer Silk (Primrose)
Hackle - Indian Hen Saddle (Speckled Brown)
Body - Kreinik Silk Dubbing (10 O'Clock = Dark Dun, 2 O'Clock = Pale Yellow, 4 O'Clock = Light Cahill, 8 O'Clock = Light Grey)

The flies are all tyed with the same hook, hackle and silk thread. I have simple changed the color of the silk dubbing used to make each fly. The colors are listed in their order (clockwise). The dark grey one is tyed with "dark dun" colored dubbing.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Re: Silk-on-Silk Soft Hackles

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:56 pm

Ray,
Classic flies next to classic materials. Very well done! Please post more when possible.
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
mvendon

Post by mvendon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:10 am

Hi Ray,

Great looking flies! Did you get ever get a chance to try any of these type out before trout season wrapped up this year? If so, how'd they work?

Regards,
Mark
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:29 am

Mark - No, I just recently picked up the silk dubbing and have been playing around with it. I will test these next spring.

William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:28 pm

They certainly look like they can't fail. Nice looking flies.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:58 pm

Nice flies Ray. wonder what you have on the red silk in the background??

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:55 pm

Ruard wrote:Nice flies Ray. wonder what you have on the red silk in the background??

Greeting
I suspect it's sewing elastic. I used to do the same thing. It holds the material in place and doesn't damage the delicate silk fibres.

I've switched to something easier and cheaper: kids scrunchy hair elastics. A pack of 50 costs $1 CDN over here and they are even softer than the elastics. It works for other materials as well.

Aaron

(PS Don't mean to steal your thunder, Ray)
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:19 pm

Ray,

Excellent looking flies. I have a year round stream just minutes from the house if you'd like to have those field tested before spring.

I may have to try that silk dubbing.

I just read a bit about it on Kreinik's web site. They say it's hydrophobic and well float flies higher and dryer than poly dubbing. Is the hook and hackle heavy enough to break the surface film?

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:30 pm

Aaron - Your right. These are simple elastic bands that I made up from some materials I stole out of my wife's sewing supplies. I just cut small sections of elastic band and then wrap the ends together with my bobbin, to form a loop. I like your idea of the small hair bands (cheap, effective, clever).

Ron - Yes, as Mike mentions, the flies will actually sink if they are tyed without wax, or left untreated by some form of floatant. I was surprised by this as well, since I had expected the flies to ride in the surface film. I recently tested a couple silk-bodied flies in a cup of water and found that after they were dropped into the water a couple times, the soaked up water and began to sink below the surface. The bodies of the fly becomes quite translucent once they become wet. I included a couple pictures of some wet silk-bodies in a recent post, but I would have to find the link. If your serious about testing these, just shoot me a PM with your address. I will send you a few to drown.

Thanks for the additional background Mike. Very informative, as always.

Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:51 pm

Ray,

The flies arrived today, in the middle of a multiple day rainstorm. The flies are just beautiful. Simple, but elegant. I must say that I was expecting two or three flies, not a fly box full. They are just lovely and will be used as soon as the water levels drop a bit.

Thanks for the samples.

Your fly testor,

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"