Dark Hare's Ear Spider (Leisenring Style)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

willowhead

Re: Dark Hare's Ear Spider (Leisenring Style)

Post by willowhead » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:45 pm

Ray, i had a dubbing noodle twister block (wooden) made by Vern Hidy in my hands just a few hours ago. Your is almost indentical..............close anyway. i also had brushes made by Mr. Hidy in my hands and note cards with his writing on them, etc.........big time goose bumps. It was SOOOOO cool. Dave Hughes ahd all this cool stuff that Vernon Hidy has given him years ago, and he showed it all to use, and then he made a dubbing brush using the box, and tyed a flymph, and then another.....WOW!!!!! :D It was so amazing...........oh, gorgeous fly btw. :lol:
Doug.....i still have some of those dubbing brushes by Hareline.........they're great.....but like you said.....size 14, 2 or 3X long is bout as small a hook as you'd wanna use with them. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Mark - you should put Dave in contact with Jim Slattery. I am sure he would be interested in photographing those items for the updated Flymph book.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:02 am

Ray, i told him bout Jim, and Jim's place, and the book, and this website.....and the whole 9 yrds. :lol: Ding! AND Dong!!! :D
Ray.....you should of SEEN, this one card.....that was loaded up with nothin' but Tupps brushes (made by Hidy) on it...........GORGEOUS brushes. i could hardly believe i was holding them.....and they looked as though they'd been made a week ago.....cept for you could tell they were very old. As Dave told it.....back in the day.....the brushes were let to "Set" before they would be used.....and if they never did get used, that wax would just "Set" the dubbing virtually forever..........amazing. ;) .....Misa's got pics..... :P ..... 8-)

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:27 pm

letumgo wrote:The nails are simple guides. The silk should run between the nails. I guess in truth, they are unnecessary. The one I copied had them, so I built mine with them too. I use the to hold a strip of leather (black on one side/tan on the other) as a backdrop to help make the dubbing more visible.
I see. In looking at your pics again, it is clear they help hold the strip of leather in place. Thanks for the clarification.
fleaflicker

Post by fleaflicker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:11 pm

willowhead wrote:Ray, i told him bout Jim, and Jim's place, and the book, and this website.....and the whole 9 yrds. :lol: Ding! AND Dong!!! :D
Ray.....you should of SEEN, this one card.....that was loaded up with nothin' but Tupps brushes (made by Hidy) on it...........GORGEOUS brushes. i could hardly believe i was holding them.....and they looked as though they'd been made a week ago.....cept for you could tell they were very old. As Dave told it.....back in the day.....the brushes were let to "Set" before they would be used.....and if they never did get used, that wax would just "Set" the dubbing virtually forever..........amazing. ;) .....Misa's got pics..... :P ..... 8-)

Hi.. Im new to the forum & joined so i could rise this thread here back to the surface with an enquiry, purely wondering if "Misa" has any of the pictures up on the net of those tups dubbing brushes and dubbing card of hidy's? I have the book , have done for some years, fish flymphs much so on my home streams and moutain waters here in Wales, all with bamboo rods i like to make at home... I'd really just like to see those dubbing brushes,cards, even the dubbing block despite using one myself and everyone knowing what one looks like...

Appreciate any feedback on seeing those pics..
Happy flymphing from wales
Matt
gavennyrodco.blogspot.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:10 pm

fleaflicker, Howdy;

Glad to see you post. We get a few that join, and then we never see their screen name again...
Wander back through the history of the postings and you might find some other items that
pique your interest...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:03 pm

I would love to see those photos too. :)
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:37 pm

fleaflicker, you didn't mention (per say/exactly) about the pics that Misa had taken when Dave Hughes was here, when you sent me the PM. i'll ask Misa to send me those pics, and i'll post a few.....it'll be a limited number because this site has it's limitaions, but i'll see what i can do. ;)
Look for them at THIS thread...... 8-)

fleaflicker

Post by fleaflicker » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:44 am

Amazing,I look forwards to seeing those pics, I shall keep checking in here.....
Hankaye, thanks for your welcome... I can understand what you say about folk breezing in and out, & admittedly , i was not looking to join a forum at all, but sometimes , you look for things and the only way to dig deeper is to join some place and make the contact.... Im often very busy, fishing most often as i can amongst the work load, plus much time is spent making cane rods here in the valleys of wales.... What i can promise to do though, is at least leave you guys some info and pictures on welsh type flymphs, flies that have been around perhaps as long as those patterns from the the North country of UK, patterns for the slow-glides of the lowland valley river to those more suited to the rushing mountain brook.... I lve in border country, nestled amongst the Haunts of Rev E Powell (dictionary of trout flies & orrange otter) , other waters near and far would also be included in "The flies of Shropshire & the Welsh Borders" as well as inspiration for Hidy a la "Trout from the Hills"... So in advance , i appologise if i do happen top breeze in & breeze out, though it will surely compare to my appreciation for the stream, the waters of our haunts, i would certainly put something back for the enjoyment i get out of being here :) I wouldnt want to overfish the place anyhow ;)

Math
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:14 am

Math--

Good to have you on board--I was wondering if you happened to know Stuart Tod? He was kind enough to take me fishing on the Usk a couple of years ago...beautiful country y'all have over there. :) I had just time enough for a daytrip down from Birmingham, but I keep daydreaming of taking a longish walk along the Dyke sometime soon.