Fruit Loops (furled body soft hackle)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:44 am

Pattern to be added later (after pics are all posted)

Recently I bought a new Loon Dubbbing Twister tool, and spend some time over the weekend playing around with it.

My first test was making a multispectrum furled body soft hackle, using some dyed peacock herl that my daughter got for me for Christmas. I wanted to see what the herl looked like, when multiple colors are blended together.

Furled Body (extended abdomen section):

DUNK TANK TESTS (color check for wet fly):

I played around with a lot of different combinations of materials, to see is any of them looked interesting.

Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Fruit Loops (furled body soft hackle)

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:19 pm

I've used furled poly and antron bodies on dry flies for years. Using the technique on wet flies never crossed my mind. I keep telling you, quit your day job and design flies for a living.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:30 pm

Interesting. I tried for a long time to tie a leach pattern like this. Soft hackle up front and a furled body. I was using mohair yarn and trying to incorporate the hook into the the furling so the hook rode at the rear like a trailing hook. You have to incorporate the hook into the middle of the furled strand so when the furled rope twists the hook ends up at the back end. Something has to be internal in the furled strand to secure the hook with confidence. I had some prototypes that worked awesome on steelhead. I was handing them out to all my buddies in Oregon. But I really struggled with consistency. I was using both kevlar thread or trailing hook wire in the furling to secure the hook. Needs to be flimsy, not rigid. The design is works great when it works. Maybe give it a go Ray, see what you can come up with.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:33 pm

Very cool fly and technique, Ray! It looks fun to tie, and should be quite the success on the water.