Ice Out

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Ice Out

Post by Roadkill » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:31 pm

This soft hackle is a homage to a great tyer and fisherman, Clayne Baker from Boise Idaho started the Woolly Buggers youth fly tying, fishing and, conservation club. I met him at his Stonefly Anglers shop and learned from him there and at Idaho Expos.

At later Expos he tied a beautiful & deadly blue winter midge pupa that was fished from a float tube at Ice Out on local waters by casting onto the melting ice and slowly dropping it off the edge for a slow retrieve.

Hook-Wholesale Fly Company Model:28 #10
Thread and Body- UTC 70 Blue Dun
Rib- Pearl Krystal Flash
Thorax-Purple Merino Wool with Rainbow Antron
Hackle- Imitation Chatterer

ImageIMGP1040 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Ice Out

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:47 am

There are several local ponds and lakes that would fish well with that fly. I'll be adding a few to the spring box. It will be a while before I can give a fishing report.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:40 am

Nnnnice! ;)

My first impulse is to scale it up for steelhead.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:55 pm

Ray, I agree, wholeheartedly. If I was still chasing chromers I'd up size that in a heartbeat. I'm tying some flies for a friends Alaska trip next fall. I will be adding an upsized version for him to test out.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:04 pm

Roadkill wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:31 pm This soft hackle is a homage to a great tyer and fisherman, Clayne Baker from Boise Idaho started the Woolly Buggers youth fly tying, fishing and, conservation club. I met him at his Stonefly Anglers shop and learned from him there and at Idaho Expos.

At later Expos he tied a beautiful & deadly blue winter midge pupa that was fished from a float tube at Ice Out on local waters by casting onto the melting ice and slowly dropping it off the edge for a slow retrieve.

Hook-Wholesale Fly Company Model:28 #10
Thread and Body- UTC 70 Blue Dun
Rib- Pearl Krystal Flash
Thorax-Purple Merino Wool with Rainbow Antron
Hackle- Imitation Chatterer

ImageIMGP1040 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
Great looking fly. I had to give it a double take because the colors are not what I'm used to. Looks like it would make a fantastic Christmas decoration for the tree. But seriously, I bet it does well after ice off.

I have a question, what is imitation chatterer? I have never heard of that material.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:46 am

Several rare bird feathers are imitated by dyeing white Ringneck Rooster neck feathers to imitate Chatterer, Toucan, and Indian Crow for full dress Salmon fly tyers.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:34 pm

I want to clarify the color of this fly, the body is Blue Dun thread.

I believe the visible color shift of the hook shaft and the blue thread is caused by the white light of my" fly studio" hitting the purple thorax dubbing and the reflected light being spread by the Antron in the dubbing and the translucent rib of Krystal Flash. :idea:

The sun is out today so here is a snapshot of the flies in indirect sunlight on the same background...

ImageIMGP1043 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

IMO tyers should consider the effect of various lighting on their flies in the water and the effects they want to create. I will recommend What Fish See: again to those interested in the subtleties of light on flies and how fish might see something different than we tiers do at the bench.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1571881409?ta ... th=1&psc=1

P.S. For steelhead I would definitely tie this with a purple body!! ;)
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:59 pm

Thank you for helping me with chatterer.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:47 pm

You are most welcome! :)
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:50 am

When I first saw this fly, my first thought was "I've got to steal this.", the second thought was where to get imitation chatterer. Turns out John has them, along with some very spendy real ones. https://feathersmc.com/product-category ... s/cotinga/

Any other sources out there?