Smurf Sakasa Kebari

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Smurf Sakasa Kebari

Post by Roadkill » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:24 pm

This is just a reverse hackle version of the Smurf Emerger I posted earlier this year.
https://flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ger#p99417

I am working to fill a Tenkara box to take out and fish with ronr next year. ;) :D

Hook- Wholesale Fly Company Model 28 #16
Thread-Light Olive UTC 70
Body-Peacock Krystal Flash
Hackle- Whiting Hen Natural Medium Dun

ImageIMGP1107 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
ronr

Re: Smurf Sakasa Kebari

Post by ronr » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:41 pm

Bill yesterday was a Tenkara day.. the whitefish were doing their thing with abandon. Tight lining a tiny glow yarn egg pattern resulted in many hookups...A few redbands to 14" were fooled as well. Went Tenkara just for fun and it was a blast. I have to admit though, I never put on a kabari or tenkara fly all day...Blashemy you say... guilty as charged.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:52 pm

No Blasphemy is putting on the pellet or Cheetos fly to match the tourist feeding frenzy off a bridge. :lol:
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:15 am

I’m tempted to fish this as a rockworm pattern. I think I will tye some with a black head and darker legs (perhaps starling hackle), to match the color of my local bugs.

Not a doubt, your pattern will catch fish. ;) :D

Ron - I fish all kinds of flies with my tenkara rod. Even streamers. It all comes down to how you present and what you do to manipulate the fly to bring it to life. That was one of the fun things about learning how to fish with the tenkara rod. Without being able to strip line in to animate the fly, it becomes necessary to move/twitch the rod tip. I feel that I spend more time fishing (keeping the fly in the water), and can get longer drifts (dictated by the stream current) and observe the fly more closely in the water (sight fishing became a bigger part of my approach). I love being able to watch how a fish responds to a fly (or streamer), since it teaches me what they are after. What kind of action (or lack of action) causes them to respond.

Smallmouth bass are especially fun, since they act like cats. Drift a fly motionless for several seconds, then twitch it into motion. BAMMM! A bass pounces on it without hesitation. They are also blast to fight on a tenkara rod.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean