Clark Spinning Block

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Clark Spinning Block

Post by letumgo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:27 pm

John - Is Phil on our website? If not, could you point him in our our direction? Looks like he is already a member of IBF.

I loved seeing one of William's (Clark's) dubbing block at a tying demo. Very cool.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:47 am

VERY cool!

Thanks John. I hope he joins the forum. I will keep an eye on the admin log for new members. Let me know if he has any problems logging in.

Did he say where he got one of William's blocks?

William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:03 am

Excellent to see the block go into use so quickly. He ordered it a couple weeks ago from my site. Really nice guy and a true flympher. He really is very well versed in all things soft hackles and has miles of Flymph water in the driftless regions. How cool is that too have a real 477 killer bug? I do hope he'll join us.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:19 pm

Well, that WiFlyfisher guy is a mischievous character. Outing me to a bunch of soft hackle devotees. This from a guy known to tie flies the size of small birds and fish them long after dark. I think it was Groucho Marx who once said, "I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me or WiFlyfisher as a member."

Not sure I have much to add here, but I'll poke around and see what drifts in the current. I've been fishing soft-hackled flies for decades and have developed an interest in the history and traditions of fly fishing. I live in south central Wisconsin, within easy driving distance of many hundreds of miles (two to three thousand, actually) of limestone spring creeks. The fish are wild, the access is excellent, and the streams are very flymph friendly. My name, by the way, is Phil Anderson ... no relation as far as I know to William the luminary.

About that Chadwick's 477 ...

I've long been intrigued by Frank Sawyer's Killer Bug and the mystique of Chadwick's 477 yarn. Over the years, I've gone through phases of trying hard to find the yarn (or a good substitute) and then giving up after not succeeding. I've probably bought – sight unseen – most of the Chadwick's substitutes touted on the Internet. But, when they arrived in the mail, the color match to online photos of Chadwick's was always disappointing.

I occasionally scoured Ebay and Ebay-UK for Chadwick's. Trouble is, a gazillion other possessed souls are doing the same thing, and I'm not about the spend $100 for a card of yarn. Besides, of all the features that contribute to a fly's success, color is WAY down on my list of what is important. Nevertheless, the search continued.

Then, about a year ago I wandered to some out-of-the-way cul-de-sac of the Internet where vintage sewing supplies were offered for sale. In a photo of one offering, a couple of cards of Chadwick's Mending Yarn were mixed among other odds and ends. One was of interest, as it appeared to be a color similar to 477. But, the color number on the card was partially obscured. The "4" and part of a "7" were visible, but the third digit was covered over by something else in the pile. Was it 477? Or, was it one of the 9 other possibilities? I rolled the dice, pushed my $5 forward (plus $3 shipping!), and when the package arrived … jackpot. It was the real deal. Sometimes an angler just gets lucky.

In the end, the satisfaction was the quest for Chadwick's 477, not the yarn itself. I now wander around aimlessly without anything to do except go fishing. Well, not exactly. I'm in discussions with a sheep farmer attempting to score some creamy yellow fur from the scrotum of a white ram. James Leisenring, after all, described a Tup's Nymph as "the best all-around nymph I have found".

Incidentally, while in Montana this past summer, I spent an afternoon fishing the upper Big Hole River. The river holds one of the few remaining populations of native fluvial grayling in the lower 48. I was hoping to knock an item off the bucket list: catch a grayling on a Killer Bug tied with Chadwick's 477. Wish I could show you a photo, but the grayling did not cooperate. I'll try again another year.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:05 pm

Phil, I think you'll be fitting in here quite well. Good to see Williams blocks in good hands such as yours. Welcome aboard.

Great score on the 447 too, that's just too cool. :mrgreen:
swellcat

Re: Engaging Text

Post by swellcat » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:33 pm

William the Luminary, whizz-dyed scrotal fur, and flies the size the small birds: the Good Humour Man has rolled into the 'hood, bells blazing.

Welcome. Here's hoping you'll find excuses to post often.
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:47 am

ThirdMeadow, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum .... we've just had the furniture rearranged, so you are finding your way
around with the rest of us. Thanks for the intro, went well with my coffee, truly enjoyed your
tale of The Quest for 477.
Sure wish other new members would take the time for a short intro ...
Careful not to 'bark' your shins on the coffee table, make yerself comfortable enjoy the place.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:25 pm

Phil - Great introduction. You are amoung friends. You will fit right in here. Welcome aboard! ;)

PhilA

Post by PhilA » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:20 pm

A follow-up on the Chadwick's 477 yarn...

Ever since snagging a card of Chadwick's 477, I've been searching for a commercially available substitute that is a good color match. After considerable effort, I finally found a good one! Better, I think, than any of the previously discussed substitutes. Rather than duplicate the text and photos here, I'll point you toward a post that I placed on The Classic Fly Rod Forum this evening:

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 73&t=85951

If anybody would like a slug of the Chadwick's substitute yarn, send me your name and address, and I'll gladly mail some to you. WiFlyfisher, yours is already in the mail, you rascal.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:53 pm

Phil - Terrific article. It looks like you and our friend William are cut from the same cloth. (compliment) Did you see his recent post about Killer Bugs? The yarn you've identified does look like a very good match for Chadwick's 477.

I sent you a PM. ;) Thanks for the kind offer. Very much appreciated.