Inspired Fox Squirrel Nymphs....

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

Inspired Fox Squirrel Nymphs....

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:35 pm

Hi Everyone!
Below are some Dave Whitlock's amazing "Red Fox Squirrel Hair Nymphs" tied by yours truly! I was inspired recently by Ronr's posting of his awesome variants that I found to be superbly tied! Thanks Ron for prompting! I opened my box and brought out the stuff needed and have been having a blast!

#1 A standard nymph pattern tied on a 2x long shanked hook! These patterns look better tied on a longer hook! I think it allows the tier to stretch out the abdomen a bit looking more like the natural!

#2 Eight of my recent ties! Our electric was off for nearly 48 hours this past weekend and I took to using a battery powered head lamp to tie with! It worked out well! Sorry, no selfies of this mellon-headed tier with his lamp on his forehead!

#3 My Fox Squirrel flybox. It seems a bit anemic as do most of my boxes so, I continue on tying and filling this box back up! It is truly a labor of love! My favorite of the series? The ones tied on the various swimming nymph hooks! They look really cool! The very top row of flies are indeed wet flies and they are fantastic in the film or slightly below! Thank you Dave Whitlock for creating this pattern and thanks again Ron for the inspiration!

Additional Images:
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
DOUGSDEN

Re: Inspired Fox Squirrel Nymphs....

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:57 pm

I forgot to acknowledge Ray's help in posting the pictures for me! A great big THANK YOU my friend for doing this! This is the best forum of its kind in the world!
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:03 pm

My pleasure Doug! Happy to help with the post.

Fantastic set of flies. I love seeing them go from trimming fur (when you harvested the squirrel fur) to finished flies.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Variant

Post by Variant » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:07 pm

Doug,
Well done!
Great looking flies.
Maybe I should invest in a headlamp.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:38 am

I would fish those in a heartbeat; beautiful ties, Doug. Donning a headlamp to beat back the darkness; you da' man!
ronr

Post by ronr » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:51 am

Doug.. those are classics... are you sure you don't supply flies to Whitlock for his videos...tying in the dark is true dedication.

I'm starting to work on the goodies you sent me.... here's and early example... no pro photos from my end, howeverImageVersion 2 by Ron Romeis, on Flickr
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:05 pm

Gee Ron! Nothing wrong with this photo or the fly either! It looks really good! I like it! Glad you liked the stuff I sent over! It looks like you are putting it to good use! This is exciting! Where else can you exchange materials and ideas so freely like on this forum?
Doug