Heron and Hare

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Aussieflyman

Heron and Hare

Post by Aussieflyman » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:54 am

I have placed this pattern un this section because of the inclusion of a bead.

This pattern started out as a straight nymph without a hackle. In that guise it caught me a lot of fish when Euro Nymphing, especially if positioned on the top dropper. However, I love movement in my flies, a reason I use genetic hen hackles on dry flies.

So, about two seasons ago, I decided to revisit the tying. Changed the hook and added a hackle. In the new guise the pattern accounts for 75% of my fish, either as a single fly popped into pocket water or as a dropper, when Euro Nymphing.

Hook - Dohiku 644 #16 (I also do it in a #14 with a slightly heavier bead)
Thread - Hot fluorescent orange Veevus 14/0 which is changed to Olive Veevus 14/0 before the body is created.
Bead - 2.5mm gold tungsten (3mm in larger)
Tail - Coq de Leon hen hackle fibres (but any hackle fibres would work)
Rib - Gold wire (.14mm)
Body - Heron herl ribbed with the wire
Thorax - smidge of hare fur
Hackle - over covert from a French Partridge wing.

To tie this, take the orange thread down around the bend while also trapping in the tail. Bring the thread back 4 turns and then tie in the wire (I do this by making a single turn to hold it while I tie in the body), tie in the Heron by the tip and take the orange thread to the bead. Tie off the orange and replace it with the olive. Wind the heron foward so that it remains flat and then rib it with 4 turns of wire. Now dub on a smidge of hare fur (less is more). To finish prepare a FP feather and tie it in by the tip, make two turns and tie off.
Attachments
IMG_4981.jpg
IMG_4981.jpg (254.1 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Philip
DOUGSDEN

Re: Heron and Hare

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:06 pm

Philip,
Wow! What a great looking pattern and I love the story behind it! You did a great job in this and it's much appreciated!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Roadkill

Re: Heron and Hare

Post by Roadkill » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:43 pm

Fine looking fly!!