Coq n' Copper

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Terrestrial12

Coq n' Copper

Post by Terrestrial12 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:40 am

Tail is a little long but I think it came out nice. Yalls discussion on Sawyer's nymphs prompted me to start playing around with some random size wires from old electrical components. This is the result. BTW I'm new here. I've been following along and creeping the forum for some time but finally got registered so...what's up everyone. Im Shane.
Hook: moonlit 2xl size 12
Tail: Whiting Farms Coq de Leon (dirty pardo)
Abdomen: copper wire
Thorax: brown antron with a touch of burnt orange
Wing case/legs: Whiting Farms dirty Pardo CDL
Attachments
Snapchat-2050940392-01.jpeg
Snapchat-2050940392-01.jpeg (98.03 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
Snapchat-2050940392-01.jpeg
Snapchat-2050940392-01.jpeg (98.03 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
DUBBN

Re: Coq n' Copper

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:59 am

That should work.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:43 am

Welcome aboard Shane. I'm happy you've decided to join the forum and post patterns right away. These look like very effective nymphs. I especially like the wire work on the body. The open spiral wraps gives a nice segmentation to the body.

Looking forward to seeing more of your patterns in the future.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words! While it's nice to be in company of such like minded people as fat as more natural and traditional/historical tying...I don't think my skills are on par with the rest of you all. I'll probably just lurk in the shadows for a while. I absolutely love the content here tho!
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:50 pm

Lurk away then, and feel free to join in if you have questions or have something to add to the conversation. We have a nice tutorial section towards the bottom of the main page, and loads of patterns scattered in the various other sections of the forum.

Lurk and learn, my friend. ;)

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:54 pm

I would urge you to post a pattern every so often. Especially patterns that you have success with.

If another swap comes along, please join it. Your pattern will not be judged, just admired, no matter your skill level.

By the looks of the pattern you posted, it is obvious you have advanced skill.
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:18 pm

@DUBBN, thanks for that. I'll definitely post some others. I tie a ton of traditional north country patterns so the soft hackle section is probably where I'll be most active. I've become absolutely obsessed with the flymph. The thought process, the history, the idea of painstakingly trying to emulate natural insects with natural materials rather than tying flies solely for Instagram likes...its something that just made complete since to me since before I was even able to cobble together a San Juan worm. I was gifted a copy of Lisenring and Hidy's book very early on wich I've devoured several times, and recently gifted some really nice materials from some forum members. Tying a flymph that checks all the boxes and "kills" really isn't all that difficult. Tying a flymph that just has that picture perfect look like Lisenring, Hidy or in my mind Mr. Sanders...well that's proven to be more like some kind of occult magic. I'm not quite sure what mine lack yet. I think its that perfect taper and thorax region but I'm here to learn. Thanks for welcoming me!
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:02 pm

Shane,

There are a couple videos pinned at near the top of the first page in the Tutorial section showing Bill Schuck, William Anderson and Jim Slattery creating spun bodies and tying flymphs. You should also look up Carl Sanders (Old Hat) website. The videos and Carl's website should be very helpful in your pursuit of flymph techniques.

Here is a link to Carl's website: https://www.oldhatflytying.com/flymph-tying.html

Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Flymph.

Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:13 am

8-) That is very nice fly, suitable for fishing almost anywhere!! :)
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:59 pm

Welcome Shane. Mr. Sawyer would be very impressed with what you have done. The body is nice and tight, something I need to work on when it comes to wire.