hankaye

Re: So ugly

Post by hankaye » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:01 am

Howdy All;

Every time I see these I remember the line from the Lion King,
"My favorites. Crunchy onna outside and nice an gooey onna inside!"
Thinkin' it was the Meerkat that said it. chucklin'

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tworod

Post by tworod » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:29 pm

Here is a hair hackle wet fly version a' la Franz Pott using Swannundaze for the body.
Certain sections of the Beaverhead harbor large populations of crane flies. They are very active in the mornings and the fish knew all about them. The bite would continue until around 10AM. Swinging was the ticket beginning around now. This pattern works but the go to pattern was a cast of two large Dark Cahills.
Our legacy focusses on the mayfly, caddis, stone and midge for hatch matching but virtually ever adult fly you see along a stream comes from the river. That includes damsels, dragons, crane flies, etc. If you see these flies, swing something that mimics size and color and you will be surprised. Carey Specials are particularly effective for these larger insects.
A unique and unknown match the hatch opportunity starting now in rivers that harbor hellgrammites is the dobson fly, adult of hellgrammite. The dobson fly is gargantuan and returns to lay eggs at night. They are so large that you can easily hear their wings buzzing as they fly from the stream side bank. Each buzzing is followed by a large swirl 100% of the time. The fish know all about them. A two fly cast of a Bomber and a heavily hackled woolly worm works. You just have to be willing to get out at night.
Attachments
tempImage56KqUm.gif
tempImage56KqUm.gif (397.03 KiB) Viewed 15398 times
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:09 pm

RickA wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:37 am
So Wayne, what color and brand is the squirmy stuff you used. Did you swipe it with a marker?
Just curious 'cause I love the color... you nailed it.
Sorry Rick, I took way too long to reply. I use a Tan / light brown squirmy material I found at Cabelas. I dont use a Sharpie. I use scud back., then rib with wire..

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:18 pm

These are the Ice jams breaking loose that can tear apart some of the stream bed and banks on the rivers I fish. When this happens the Cranefly Larva is deposited in the river, making this pattern and others like it so effective.

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:37 pm

We get those here and where I grew up (Adirondacks) when conditions are right. Spectacular display of the forces of nature. Always makes me wonder how the fish survive these events.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean