Stripped duck quills use ?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Bazzer69

Stripped duck quills use ?

Post by Bazzer69 » Fri May 03, 2024 8:44 pm

Age. And memory are catching me up. I’m not sure which forum to post this question but I thought I might try here. What are the uses for stripped duck quills. I remember stripping some a year or so ago but for the life of me I can’t remember why!! I assume it was for the body of a particular fly I was wanting to tye a while ago.
Your help would be appreciated
Barry
Variant

Re: Stripped duck quills use ?

Post by Variant » Sat May 04, 2024 7:52 am

Hi Bazzer,
The stripped duck quill makes an excellent lifelike body for nymphs , wets and dry flies. One pattern comes to mind Is the grouse nymph tied by Eric Leiser. Also Ted Niemeyer used stripped duck quill for most of his beautiful lifelike fly patterns. Keep on tying.
Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Theroe

Re: Stripped duck quills use ?

Post by Theroe » Wed May 15, 2024 6:39 pm

Barry / Lou
Somewhere on this forum is a step-by-step tutorial done by Aaron outlining exactly how Ted stripped those duck wings. I am quite partial to them for just about every fly pattern as they are almost indestructible. When you wind them over colored silk, such as kimono or Pearsalls A very lifelike body is attained.
Good luck, Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....