GRHE, GR possum FB and a bunch of PT's

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fly_fischa

GRHE, GR possum FB and a bunch of PT's

Post by fly_fischa » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:56 am

I wasn't going to share these as they are just a few crappy snaps taken in the vise. I took these to ask a few friends to pick a fav if they could only tie and fish one sz 16. It was interesting to get everyones take.
They were all tied on sz16 Kamasan b175's a stout short wet fly hook if you're unfamiliar with the model.

Looking at the photos was a bit of an eye opener to me, I'm sure the trout would't give a damn but I do and if I'm not confident in the fly I tie on, my results will suffer.

What surprised me most is that the first pheasant tail I tied looked pretty good to the naked eye, I have 20/20 vision. The photo however doesn't do it for me, the body is too thick although I was frugal with thread wraps and used 17/0 trico thread, the thorax looks too bulbous and squat and the head huge although the eye isn't crowded.

I tied a few more to try to remedy the flaws. I trapped the pheasant tail barbs for the body on the near side of the hook and the ribbing on the far side with the same turn of thread, bound them down the whole length of the shank keeping them on their respective sides using thread tension, elongated the abdomen a little and shortened the thorax. Then I used a marker to make the thread black so it blends in more and becomes part of the body.

Tonight I tied a similar one and used 5.5x fluorocarbon for ribbing.

Anyway probably way to OCD for most, but I like to get things right before I commit to tying a few dozen.

K

GRHE- Hares poll dub, CDL tail, XS gold embossed oval tinsel 3 turns, 5PT barb wingcase, 17/0 trico thread sz 16 kamasan b175

GR possum FB, uni fluoro org 8/0, natural possum dub, CDL tail, XS gold embossed oval tinsel 3 turns, small opal tinsel , sz16 kamasan b175

PT1- CDL tail, sm copper rib, pt abdo, CDL speckled hen barbs for the wingcase, siman dk peacock dub, 17/0 trico thread, sz16 kamasan b175

PT2- CDL tail, sm copper rib, pt abdo and wingcase, dk claret possum thorax, 17/0 trico thread blackened with marker, sz16 kamasan b175

PT3- Dk speckled CDLhen tail, 5.5x fluorocarbon rib, pt abdo and wingcase, black possum thorax, 17/0 trico thread blackened with marker, sz16 kamasan b175
Mike62

Re: GRHE, GR possum FB and a bunch of PT's

Post by Mike62 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:09 am

Good gawd, there isn't a damn thing wrong with any of them! They're gorgeous ties, each one of them.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:52 am

fly_fischa, Howdy;

K, really? I think ya need to take your OCD out behind the
tool-shed and kick it's arse! Truly, if you allow it to try to
decied which is what.
Fish'em all let the true judges tell ya what they like.

:roll: kids these days ....

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:10 am

Oh horror! Back to the vice and tie some flies that are at least decent.

Seems as if you are partial to the anorectic style. Nothing wrong with that. Every tier is free to choose his/her style. Many fishermen agree on that the rest is up to presentation.

Anyway. You cleaned up your act to your preferences. This means that there is at least some hope for you. Personally I would have made the head dark brown, not black, for no other reason than preference.

(Some people like chubby nymphs. Who knows about fish? Who cares? I like you like some other people do).

dd
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:13 am

Gee ya didn’t all have to agree that I suffer from OCD when it comes to tying :oops:
Thanks for the talking too, I guess :shock:
K ;)
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:42 am

So once I get started I cant stop!!! :shock: :lol: :roll: :cry:
whitings CDL hen saddle for the tail, abdomen and wingcase

PT for the tail abdo and wingcase...
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:52 am

fly_fischa wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:42 am So once I get started I cant stop!!! :shock: :lol: :roll: :cry:
whitings CDL hen saddle for the tail, abdomen and wingcase

PT for the tail abdo and wingcase...
Was it your intention to make the second one that awfully chubby? Really?

dd
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:10 pm

Stefan, Stefan, I try and try to pls u, u say skinny I tie skinny u say chubby I tie chubby. What do I get for it, more pain! :roll: I don’t think I can cope ;)

Ps. I even asked my wife to buy a brown sharpie at the supermarket yesterday, they didn’t have any! :lol:
That part is actually true :lol: :lol:
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:21 pm

fly_fischa wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:10 pm
Ps. I even asked my wife to buy a brown sharpie at the supermarket yesterday, they didn’t have any! :lol:
Image😀😀😀😀
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:35 pm

DUBBN wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:21 pm
fly_fischa wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:10 pm
Image😀😀😀😀
And you reckon I’ve got issues :roll:
Shades of brown is taking it a bit far my friend, honestly!
:lol: ;)