Stealing Dubbn's fly patterns

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ronr

Stealing Dubbn's fly patterns

Post by ronr » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:29 pm

DUBBN'S flies continue to inspire and provide patterns to borrow. His post on attractor nymphs a while back had a number of stone fly patterns that he fishes in his waters. Here in Central Oregon, the Metolius has a healthy population of golden stones that persist for months rather than weeks. Lately, Roadkill and I have been comparing patterns that started with green drakes. Those flies, tied in slightly different colors, were being taken in water that should be holding golden stone nymphs.
So, I went to DUBBN's post and had to improvise one of his attractors.

Mine is also tied on a large (TMC 2499SPBL) hook. Goose biot tails and instead of using different colored wires, or midge tubing with wire inserted for the body, I tied an underbody with UTC 70 in Woodduck. I then wrapped a strand of Pumpkin Barred Sili legs over the thread. Then covered the body with Loon UV clear.
The thorax is a golden stone blend of dubbing that I took from someone's post( sorry didn't record whose blend it is) inserted into split thread. A pheasant rump feather is the hackle.

As soon as the daytime temps fall below 95 around here, this fly will get its test on the river.
Attachments
IMG_4279.jpeg
IMG_4279.jpeg (314.28 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Roadkill

Re: Stealing Dubbn's fly patterns

Post by Roadkill » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:26 pm

8-) I needed those yesterday!! ;)
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:55 pm

Great looking fly. I have to admit that DUBBN's patterns are brilliantly done. And I have a soft spot for tails made of biots. My Gingerbread pattern has them and it does well in these Colorado waters.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:07 am

That fly would take fish for me in the majority of rivers that I fish. As a Golden Stone nymph, or any number of large critters living on the rivers bottom.

Your post made me smile from ear ro ear!!

Well done Ronr!