Discouraged

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Fishnkilts

Re: Discouraged

Post by Fishnkilts » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:04 pm

Thanks Bob. I ended up using my tweezers to pick the wings up and it made it easier. But once in my fingers, lining up the ends, I was having trouble.

But I am determined to learn this, so my discouragement drives me.
tworod

Post by tworod » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:14 pm

Video game youngsters have cheats. Fly tiers can do the same.
If you search the internet you can find old style wet fly hooks with looped eyes. Quill wings are easier to mount because you are tying on a flat surface. You will be limited by size and hook type. Also, like many things, these hooks will eventually disappear. Then, as stated, it is practice, practice, practice.
Attachments
Look Eye Box.png
Look Eye Box.png (193 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
Mustad Loop Eye.png
Mustad Loop Eye.png (85.42 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
Updtate

Post by Updtate » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:35 am

I myself do not use any of the written about methods. I struggled with all of them years ago. I am a right hand tier. I hold the wing in place on the hook with my left hand. Most would pass the thread up between the fingers and back down over the wing and pull down. Some come back up and pull up. The thread and the torque is what causes things to go wrong. I simply hold the wing on top of the hook with my left and with my right I compress the wing down at the hook eye. No thread or torque involved. After the wing is in place a couple of thread wraps will hold it for inspection. I do not pay any attention to the wing but concentrate on the wing butts alighning and adjusting them so they are straight out over the hook all at the same time never letting go of the wing with my left. After this is done and inspected I hold the wing again with my left and trim the butts.

Tom. The Big Indian Fly
P_20211225_133522.jpg
P_20211225_133522.jpg (99.5 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:06 am

So let it be written; so let it be done!

Thanks for sharing Tom

Tight Lines- Ken
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:30 pm

Thank you , Tom. I will try that trick if I understand it correctly.

I went to the local fly shop yesterday after work hoping they'd have a few paired duck feathers and maybe a whole wing or two. I was surprised to see they had many duck feathers and also shoulders but no wings. I bought enough to give this a good try.
The other night I was able to get the wings to stand like they should but the tips were not very well lined up.

Today I will try clipping the stem to help get the proper width of the wings like in the photo that was posted and try that.

Though discouraged at first I am determined to get this down.
Updtate

Post by Updtate » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:12 pm

Use the mallard duck wing quills on sizes 10 to 14. Below that I usually switch to goose flank feathers. Flank wing feathers such as mallard,wood duck or bronze mallard is a whole "nother "ball game as is winging and rolling and folding with just a single slip from one feather

Tom.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:57 am

Fishnkilts,
You are receiving world class info and instructions on this unusual winging technique! Like all other methods that are at first unfamiliar, be persistant! You have already demonstrated at huge willingness to do this! I have found that at some point, something will click and it will all come together! Do not be discouraged that the second, third, or fifteenth attempt don't come out like the first! Practice, practice, practice! Please report back when you become an old hand at this! I admire your persistence! This is a mark of the great ones!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:24 am

Fishnkilts,

Don't be discouraged, go fish your flies and see that they catch fish not fishermen! ;)

Watch this video for some great instruction on how to tie these wings (on a dry fly version)...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Mi ... &FORM=VIRE

I was disgusted as a kid trying to do this by myself, but learned to tie this wing watching Mike & the Traveling Fly Fishermen in Boise do their thing. But I learned to set a Full Dress Salmon Fly wing from other amazing expo tyers before I went back to attempt this simple looking wing. ;)
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:27 pm

I think I'm getting it.

I find I do better by pinching hard and slightly toward me, then two light wraps around the shank and then very quickly pulling up. If I pull up slowly the wings turn and lay flat no matter how tight I pinch them.

Keep in mind, I'm still practicing.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:27 pm

Looks great. Nicely set wing, and no distortion of the fibers. Your efforts are paying off. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean