Discouraged

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

redietz

Re: Discouraged

Post by redietz » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:30 am

Fishnkilts wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:27 pm I find I do better by pinching hard and slightly toward me, then two light wraps around the shank and then very quickly pulling up.
Some people recommend that you pinch with the middle finger instead of the index. That takes care of the "slightly toward me" part.

Looking good, though.
Bob
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:14 am

redietz wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:30 am
Fishnkilts wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:27 pm I find I do better by pinching hard and slightly toward me, then two light wraps around the shank and then very quickly pulling up.
Some people recommend that you pinch with the middle finger instead of the index. That takes care of the "slightly toward me" part.

Looking good, though.
Thanks for the middle finger advice. I was giving them the middle finger many times but in a different way. :lol:

I'll be going to the local fly shop and deplete their inventory of duck wings. I would like to get consistent with these as soon as I can
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:19 pm

redietz wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:30 am Some people recommend that you pinch with the middle finger instead of the index. That takes care of the "slightly toward me" part.

Looking good, though.
That is what I love about this site. Learning something new every day. Thanks for the tip Bob.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:00 pm

Fishnkilts wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:27 pm I think I'm getting it.

I find I do better by pinching hard and slightly toward me, then two light wraps around the shank and then very quickly pulling up. If I pull up slowly the wings turn and lay flat no matter how tight I pinch them.

Keep in mind, I'm still practicing.
Huzzah! What's wrong with that?! Nicely done.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:33 pm

Mike62 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:00 pm
Fishnkilts wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:27 pm I think I'm getting it.

I find I do better by pinching hard and slightly toward me, then two light wraps around the shank and then very quickly pulling up. If I pull up slowly the wings turn and lay flat no matter how tight I pinch them.

Keep in mind, I'm still practicing.
Huzzah! What's wrong with that?! Nicely done.
For the ones that I like, I'm 1 for 5. But that's better than what I was three days ago. They guys here on the forum told me something I had forgotten and that's not to let go of the wings.
I'm slowly improving.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:30 pm

Fishnkilts - There is an article in the latest copy of Fly Tyer Magazine (Spring 2022 Edition/by Brian Grossenbacher/page 32), which may interest you. The article is called "The Fine Art of Tying Quill Wings" and features eight pages of step-by-step tying sequences and tips on tying winged wet flies.

Looks like a very helpful article. Anyway, when I saw it I immediately thought of you. Have fun! ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:06 am

letumgo wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:30 pm Fishnkilts - There is an article in the latest copy of Fly Tyer Magazine (Spring 2022 Edition/by Brian Grossenbacher/page 32), which may interest you. The article is called "The Fine Art of Tying Quill Wings" and features eight pages of step-by-step tying sequences and tips on tying winged wet flies.

Looks like a very helpful article. Anyway, when I saw it I immediately thought of you. Have fun! ;)

Thanks Ray. I actually am a subscriber and have that issue. I forgot all about that article being in there. I'll surely give it a look.
flyfud1

Post by flyfud1 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:56 pm

I'm guessing that the angle of your fingers and the hook shank is about 45 degrees. That's why the wing sticks up like it does. Try getting your fingers parallel to the hook shank and see what happens. Just my 2 cents worth. Your mileage may vary.

Charlie
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:05 pm

flyfud1 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:56 pm I'm guessing that the angle of your fingers and the hook shank is about 45 degrees. That's why the wing sticks up like it does. Try getting your fingers parallel to the hook shank and see what happens. Just my 2 cents worth. Your mileage may vary.

Charlie
Charlie, you're right! I will have to change my approach to the hook shank and come in more parallel. Great advice.
Thank you very much.
nfrechet

Post by nfrechet » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:19 am

a dam created by the end of the peacock herl body can also kick the angle of the wing upwards

i would just hold the finished wing and force it downwards into a mor horizontal position
Flytiers sure have a way at making things difficult