Some "New to Me" Hooks to Try

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FlyFisherMann1955

Some "New to Me" Hooks to Try

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:11 am

The Dette Fly Shop has finally listed the Partridge Dry Fly Supreme Up Eye (L5A/UE) hooks on their web site, so I ordered some in size 12, 14, and 16 to try. Of course, I couldn't stop there, but had to try some L2AD (Wet Fly) and L3AS (Spider) hooks too. I like caddis pupa patterns, so I "needed" some K2BY barbless caddis pupa hooks. This is my 1st time using Partridge hooks.

I had recently ordered a pack of the TMC 101 hooks that Carl showed where he bends the straight eye up. Decided I might as well try the Tiemco 3761 nymph hook someone else mentioned.
DSC02044 (2).JPG
DSC02044 (2).JPG (283.59 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
How do I keep this from becoming a real problem?

Thanks- Ken
Variant

Re: Some "New to Me" Hooks to Try

Post by Variant » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:38 am

KEN,
When it comes to hooks, there are no problems, just solutions!
You are on a roll, Partridge hooks ,Pearsall’s silk and the Golden Plover pelt!
Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:24 am

Ken, this is only my opinion based on my own experience, so take this with a grain of salt please.

I am a fan of Partridge hooks. In fact, it's all I buy anymore. I'm not saying all other brands are terrible, no sir, there are many great hook brands out there, Fulling Mill, Tiemco, Mustad are just a few. But I have settled on Partridge for the tradition they have held, not to mention their quality.

I prefer the Patriot Series over the Supreme Series because I like barbless hooks.

The L3/AS Spider hooks are awesome hooks. They have a fne wire and it gets the fly down to where I like it to be, under the film to about a foot deep. You may also want to look at their PWW hooks. They are also great for spiders and they have a heavier wire.

For a lot of my Flymphs and other wet flies, the SUD2's are absolutely wonderful, but the SUD series, not the SUD2 series, has a light wire and I don't like those too well because I have bent some in my tying vise just wrapping thread around the shank, so I stick with the SUD2 unless I am tying very small flies, size 20 and 22, then I use the SUD. And if you like to throw a dry fly once in a while, the SLD2's are fantastic.

You will find that Partridge hooks are like a half size smaller than many other hooks, so your proportions may be thrown off just a tad when you get started tying on these hooks. But I'm sure you can quickly overcome that obstacle like I did.

Now that the new upturned eye hooks are listed on Dette's web, I'm going to have to look into those too. Dette has a huge variety of Partridge hooks, so it's the only place I get my hooks from.

But take a serious look at the Patriot Series hooks, page 5 & 6 on Dette's Partridge Hook section. You may like them as much as I do. Robert L. Smith uses the SUD2 hooks if I'm not mistaken.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:20 pm

That's the problem with Partridge: proportions. Actually, it isn't Partridges' fault; obviously, it's mine. Just when I get a pattern figured out...

Nice review, T.

Mike
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:03 am

Mike62 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:20 pm That's the problem with Partridge: proportions. Actually, it isn't Partridges' fault; obviously, it's mine. Just when I get a pattern figured out...

Nice review, T.

Mike
I have to admit that when it comes to proportions, Partridge really threw a curve ball at me at first. But I had to adjust my tying to something where the size is something that can't change. What I mean is, if I am tying on a #16 hook, it's a #16 hook and that won't change. So I have to adjust. And sometimes the fly just doesn't come out looking right. So what do I have to do?

I said that Partridge is the only hook I buy. True . . . at this moment. I am finding out that with proportions it's good to have another brand or two that may help. With partridge being half size smaller than many other hooks, if I wanted to have a little bit of a longer shank, I'd have to go up another size. Well, if I am tying a #16 and have to go up a size to get the length I want ( on a barbless hook ) I was no longer tying a #16 but instead a #14. That just defeated my purpose. Oh sure, Partridge has hooks that have a bit longer shank that will work, if I want to by hooks with barbs. I'm a stubborn son of a gun when it comes to barbless. And I know I can mash the barbs down if needed, and I have at times. Ok, I'm getting off the subject here, so lets get back to proportions.

So I am looking at other hooks like Fulling Mill to add to my hook collection. I have used Fire Hole hooks, but the gaps are just too big and I have had a lot of their hook tips breaking off. So many in fact that I won't use them anymore.
I hear Daiichi makes good hooks.

So Ken and Mike, don't be a fool like me and stick to just one hook company. Ken, I see you have other hook brands in your photo, so experiment with them and see what works for the flies you tie and then stick with those.

But still, in my opinion, so far, Partridge is hard to beat.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:27 pm

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:11 am The Dette Fly Shop has finally listed the Partridge Dry Fly Supreme Up Eye (L5A/UE) hooks on their web site, so I ordered some in size 12, 14, and 16 to try. Of course, I couldn't stop there, but had to try some L2AD (Wet Fly) and L3AS (Spider) hooks too. I like caddis pupa patterns, so I "needed" some K2BY barbless caddis pupa hooks. This is my 1st time using Partridge hooks.

I had recently ordered a pack of the TMC 101 hooks that Carl showed where he bends the straight eye up. Decided I might as well try the Tiemco 3761 nymph hook someone else mentioned.

DSC02044 (2).JPG

How do I keep this from becoming a real problem?

Thanks- Ken
Watch out, Ken: you are entering step 3C, a dangerous one!!!!!!

Good luck!!
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:56 pm

Dana,

Yes, I want to avoid "Theroe's Disease"!

Tight Lines- Ken
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:07 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:39 pm