Yellow CDL (hen)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Yellow CDL (hen)

Post by DUBBN » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:06 am

With all the talk about hen hackles lately, I had to go to a Denver area fly shop on my day off.

I was hoping Charlies Flybox had a Fiery Brown hen cape. He did. The trouble was, I saw this Yellow CDL hen cape and fell in love.

I bought it instead. I have no idea what patterns I will tie with it, or what bugs I will try to imitate with it. All I know is it was love at first sight.

DOUGSDEN

Re: Yellow CDL (hen)

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:15 am

Wayne,
I think this "affair" will work out just fine for you! The challenge now is to set down at the vice and experiment and then show all of us how good you can make this pelt look! We will be anxious to see what flows out of your den! Awesome find! Maybe a return trip to this shop would be in order? You'll need to go pick up the Fiery Brown cape!
Absolutely thrilled with what you are showing us!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
ronr

Post by ronr » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:15 am

Slattery had a nice fiery brown cape recently... both Letumgo and I ordered one...got mine and was very happy with it..
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:36 am

ronr wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:15 am Slattery had a nice fiery brown cape recently... both Letumgo and I ordered one...got mine and was very happy with it..
It was that conversation that made me go looking at hen capes!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
tworod

Post by tworod » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:05 pm

Jim Slattery certainly has a great selections of hen hackle. As good, if not better, than anyone in the country.
An alternative for fiery brown and other uncommon dyed colors I would suggest are fly shops in the UK and Ireland. Fiery Brown, for instance, has been a prominent color in many of their 'loch' flies for upwards of a hundred years. Understand that something like fiery brown will have different interpretations. That is not necessarily a bad thing. Like DUBBN's yellow CDL the subtleties stir the imagination at the vise and that's the fun of it.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:29 pm

Damn that is pretty! I can see so much potential in this cape. I’m anxious to see what you create with these feathers Wayne.

By the way, did you notice those wonderful feathers near the bottom edges? They look like an excellent Golden Plover sub.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:37 pm

letumgo wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:29 pm Damn that is pretty! I can see so much potential in this cape. I’m anxious to see what you create with these feathers Wayne.

By the way, did you notice those wonderful feathers near the bottom edges? They look like an excellent Golden Plover sub.
Ray, i have never seen a Gilden Plover. Just photos. Strange, those photos came to mind when I saw this cape.

She us a little ragged on the edges, but I bet I have some fun with her.
ronr

Post by ronr » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:37 am

the yellow cdl is certainly interesting... your flies tied with it will no doubt provide additional inspiration as all your flies seem to do. I have a partridge dyed yellow that I haven't put to a lot of use...but I'm betting I'll be getting some ideas pretty soon... I also have a green and an orange partridge if anyone has any ideas for patterns that would use those colors of hackle... :mrgreen: :roll:
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:48 pm

Can I have one? :twisted: :D ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:04 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:05 am ronr - magically dup post gone. :lol:

dyed-partridge-skins.jpg

John

Gorgeous skins. I think I will play with my little Yellow hen cape for a year before I commit to buying a dyed partridge skin.

That Brown one is super gorgeous!