Could use your advice.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Fishnkilts

Could use your advice.

Post by Fishnkilts » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:29 am

My neighbor came over with some mallard wings for me that he got from some hunters. That's a blessing to me right now.

My question is, how long should I keep them in the freezer to kill any bugs that may be attached to them?

Also, does chucker make a good tying material?
Variant

Re: Could use your advice.

Post by Variant » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:07 am

I usually put my new skins and hides in the freezer for a minimum of 2 weeks.
Although chukar is usually not used in traditional soft hackle patterns , I have used certain feathers for drake patterns ( see Davie McPhail patterns). I have a couple of chukar skins and they vary in color, from a dun to a beautiful olive brown and use the covert feathers for spider patterns.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:45 pm

Kilts.....I typically leave them in the freezer for a few weeks.....then pull them out and let them go to room temp for a week and a half or so in a zip lock bag.....than back in the freezer for a week or so. This breaks the insect life cycle. Your wings are in my freezer right now for the first freeze period. Cant be too careful.

Dave
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:01 pm

Exactly what Seneca said! You've gotta do it twice so you don't get any surprise visitors from bugs that may hatch out from the larva stage. But typically speaking ducks and other fowl are pretty safe.
DarrellP

Post by DarrellP » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:38 am

I microwave my chicken feathers for 10 seconds, as well as freezing them.